Opening this week...first water test results and questions..

Sep 19, 2007
N. AL
We are having the pool opened this week. The PB is opening it because there is no way we can get our solid safety cover into that little bag they get it into. We did loosen one end of it and got some water out for a preliminary water test. It was better than I expected. (Tested with the TF test kit)

FC 2.5
CC 1.0
TC 3.5
TA 70
CH 240
CYA ~50
pH 7.5
Salt 3180

The PB has specific instructions to NOT ADD ANYTHING to my pool. Last year at opening they added stuff with out my knowledge and my TA was ~140 and my CYA ~90. I am thinking I will only need to shock the pool. Then when the heater heats up the water retest it and go from there. The water looked pretty clear also...you could see right down to the shallow end no problems. It was also clear in the cup that I dipped some test water out with.

Anything else I should add at opening? I use Muriatic Acid to bring my pH down as we have 3 deck fountains and the SWG that tend to drift it up. I also do use sodium bicarb to bring the TA up when it gets closer to 60. Beyond that I just use the SWG and bleach as needed.

Your numbers are looking pretty good for a pool that hasn't been opened yet. If you haven't been running the pump at all yet, keep in mind that your numbers might change a little once you have the pump running. It is a good idea to test the water again after you have had the pump running for at least an hour.

Assuming the numbers don't change, I agree with your evaluation. You need to shock and little else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.