filter size question.

Feb 26, 2016
florida
New to pools and wanted to ask a question, I currently have a Hayward c800 pool filter that has a cracked housing. I want to replace the whole filter assembly and I'm not sure what size to go with. I have a 1 hp pool pump and the current filter has a 75 SQ filtration area and a 28gpm flow rate. The Hayward c800 is an old model they don't make anymore. The only model I can find similar is the Hayward c900 it has a 90 sq ft filtration area and a 34 gpm flow rate. my question is the newer c900 filter over kill, if the pool pump is not capable of filtering that much water then I should just stick with a smaller filter. Pool is roughly 9,000-10,000 gallons

Frankly I would get a much larger filter. The minimum I would get is the 120 and I would probably get a larger one.

Why? Your pump will have no problem moving the water and the larger the filter the easier for it to move that water and the longer between cleaning the filter. So in theory, your pump won't work as hard and you won't have to clean the filter as often. Oversizing a cartridge filter is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.