Shed over pool equipment?

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
My pool equipment is all out in the open and I want to put a wood shed over it. I am looking at a 8' x 12' Wood shed with a wood floor. I was thinking that I don't want to put it on skids. I would like to set the floor on the ground. I was thinking of digging out around the equipment pad about 3" deep to the size of the floor. Fill and level with pea gravel and put the floor directly on the gravel. I would use pressure treated 2x4's for the floor joists. I would also need to build the floor around the pool equipment leaving the floor open because all of the equipment is already mounted and working and I don't want to remove any of it. I would have drain pipes running out under the shed to divert unwanted water, back flush, etc. Also it think the gravel will aid in runoff in the shed if any water were to leak inside. This would bring the floor closest to the pad level without having to do major excavation. I think this would also keep the vermin from borrowing under the shed. I really don't want to concrete in a larger pad.

Do you think this would work well?

skeeter

That's doable.

Another idea might be to sink 4x4's (probably six) into the ground and then put your joists and flooring up off the gravel (or dirt) by a few inches. That would make your new floor perhaps too high in relation to the equipment but give you a bit better platform.

Best of all might be to dig out all around your existing pad and then bring your new floor (supported by 4x4's and joists) up level to the pad.

This was my solution:

I kept it to 120 sq ft (which is allowed without a permit here as well) but I had to provide plans, engineering, a permit and have several inspections just like building a house. Had I known it was going to be treated as such, I would have made it much bigger and incorporated a bar and bathroom in it.

Reactions: mnmpizza
We did exactly what op suggests: sloped roof wood frame over the equipment, though the 4th wall of the shed is our house. And to get around having a "permanent" structure requiring permits and HOA approval, it's just sitting on pressure treated 4x4s and not attached to the house at all. So free standing.
We have sliding doors (like your closets in the house) for easy access in case repairs are needed.

This gets the equipment out of our killer sun, but the air temp in the shed is pretty high; not enough air flow in there. So while the motor isn't getting 115 degree direct sun, it may be exposed to a higher ambient temperature. I need some more vents.

I'll get some pics once we finish most of the trim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We did exactly what op suggests: sloped roof wood frame over the equipment, though the 4th wall of the shed is our house. And to get around having a "permanent" structure requiring permits and HOA approval, it's just sitting on pressure treated 4x4s and not attached to the house at all. So free standing.
We have sliding doors (like your closets in the house) for easy access in case repairs are needed.

This gets the equipment out of our killer sun, but the air temp in the shed is pretty high; not enough air flow in there. So while the motor isn't getting 115 degree direct sun, it may be exposed to a higher ambient temperature. I need some more vents.

I'll get some pics once we finish most of the trim.

It's the UV from the sun that is most destructive, not just the heat by itself. The shed will prohibit the UV from degrading your plastics. adding vents at the top of the shed is best since heat rises. Also, determine which direction your prevailing winds are most dominant [esp during the heat of the summer] and make the vents fact that way. There are fans that are heat sensor activated for drawing out hot air, as in attic applications. good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.