My polaris 280 is sluggish

Welcome to TFP!

Did it used to work and now it doesn't? Maybe the filter is clogged. What is the clean pressure on your filter? And what is the pressure now?

What's your water temperature? The hoses definitely stiffen up in the cold; when our water is in the 40s and 50s the tail doesn't sweep and the main hoses feel a lot stiffer. Ours still gets around and does a decent job with the leaf pickup I make him do (that reminds me, it's time to order a new bag), but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

I've got a 380 that JUST had a full rebuild kit done last Summer and acting up. On the cleaner itself, after I gave up, local pool store found a small rock in the drive wheel. A little bigger than a grain of sand so not seen, but just big enough to hang the wheel.

Cleaner still doesn't work right though. One thing I just noticed and you may want to watch is the backup valve ran slow, and even when in use it also wasn't pulling the cleaner back so I have a pressure problem. My filter screen wasn't all that bad, but not good either and my pressure relief valve releasing too much. When looking inside the valve was even cocked a little so more parts on order :)

Anyway, I "think" the 280 is so similar it's something else to check. If the backup valve is also not working well then you need to look backwards instead of at the cleaner.

I would check the screen that is in the connector that connects to the pool wall. When I first got our pool I didn't even realize there was one in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.