Hayward Phoenix 4x versus 2x suction flow requirements (Aquanaut 400 vs. 200)

T-Will

Feb 29, 2016
CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 15,000 gallon plaster pool and previously had a Hayward Navigator and was in the market for a new cleaner.

After some research I settled with the Hayward Phoenix 2x, but after going to a local pool store to pick it up, I was talked into the 4x since it was only $15 more than the 2x and came with a couple spare hoses (even though for my size pool the 4x isn't really needed).

So far the cleaner runs great, but the concern I have is I had to adjust the suction/skimmer line even more to the suction line than I previously had set with the Navigator. So my concern is that now I won't get enough flow going to the skimmer line, and more debris will collect on the surface.

I'm also a little concerned with the additional maintenance costs of the two extra rear tires and more wear and tear on the gears for having to drive the additional wheels.

Does anyone know if the 2x requires lower pressure to run at a proper RPM compared to the 4x (I would assume yes since the 2x weighs a pound less than the 4x and has fewer gears and wheels to power)?

Is there a way to remove the rear wheel section from the 4x (I was informed that there was a way to do this)?

I'm really just trying to figure out if it's worth returning the 4x for the 2x. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would expect the 4x to require more flow rate since it is moving more parts and the cleaner is a little heavier so more energy is needed to move it.

I have the 2x on my 20k pool and it works fairly well while still supporting the skimmers even on a 1/2 HP pump.

But are you sure that the only flow you have is from the skimmer and from the cleaner?

Is there any draw from the main drain that you can shut off?

My skimmer has a float valve that can be adjusted. Would that be the way to control the flow to the skimmer versus the main drain? Or could there also be a separate valve near the pump?

The float valve reduces the flow only from the skimmer. If your MD is plumbed through the skimmer, there should be a flap over the pipe opening of the MD at the bottom of the skimmer so that you can close it off. Another option is to just remove the float valve as that reduces the flow from the skimmer. The MD flow will naturally get reduced since there is no float valve anymore.

If your MD is plumbed separately to the pump, then there should be a valve on the suction line that you can use to shut it off.

Thanks for the tips, I'll have to do some investigation of my system and report back. :) And really, I keep thinking to myself I should just keep it simple, and since the 2-wheel cleaner is a simpler design, I'm leaning towards returning the 4-wheel for the 2-wheel.

So I ended up swapping the 4x for the 2x and adjusted the valve to have proper flow to the skimmer and still plenty of suction to run the 2x at the right speed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.