Hi & question re slamming pool

Feb 28, 2016
Australia
Hi,

first of all this is a great site, I've been reading it for a few weeks and there is so much great information. Thank you to everyone.

I have an above ground pool that has a SWG. I've had it a couple of year but just now am really trying to understand it. I've had a very ordinary summer because the SWG cell gave up the ghost just as I left for the christmas holidays and I've been unsuccessfully battling algae ever since (due it would seem to my own mistakes!). I have just got back from 3 days away and the pool is pea green again - even though I shocked it the previous weekend.

I have just received a Taylors 2006 test kit :) My water testing shows that:

FC: 7.8
CC: .4
PH: 7.8
CYA 60

Based on pool maths this seems to suggest I need to get FC to 24 (I had previously been aiming at 12!!), I also believe I need need to get my PH a bit lower - 7.2 - 7.4. And based on the advise on SLAMMING I need to be a bit better at judging when I have killed all the algae!

I would love to know if I have interpreted the information correctly? But also have a couple of questions.

1 is the SLAM instructions suggest using liquid bleach - is this just standard bleach that is bought is a supermarket?

2. I've seen the recommendation for CYA to be 80 in a SWG pool. This seems at odds to advise from other pools and seems to raise the FC level for slamming exponentially? Do I need to adjust CYA at this point?

Thanks for any pointers.

You got it! Good studying on FC and pH. Yes, regular bleach. No fancy scents or splashless. Just regular bleach. For now, the SWG will be "off" so just treat your pool as a non-SWG for SLAMming purposes. CYA of 60 = FC of 24. Perfect. After the SLAM, when you pass all 3 criteria and you are ready to use your SWG again, then yes, increase to at least a CYA of 70. It helps the SWG work efficiently and protect the relatively low FC generated. Yes, it means more bleach if you have to SLAM, but if we maintain our pool properly each day, that won't be likely. You were just unfortunate with that SWG problem over the holiday and being away from the house and never fully recovered. You'll get it now.

Now armed with the K--2006, you are ready to do battle. :) Oh, and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Re: Hi & question re slamming pool

well hello there! We will get your pool all fixed up and help you keep it there from now on!

1. Chlorine=bleach are the same thing. You can use supermarket bleach BUT only plain, NO scents or easy pour. Just plain bleach. Some times you can get chlorine from the pool store. It will be a higher % than the bleach from the store.

2. Do NOT push your CYA up right now........it is much easier to do a SLAM with the CYA lower.

You need to get your PH down to 7.2 first thing. Next find your best source for bleach/chlorine that is easy to get in large amounts.

Next please put your pool info in your signature (settings upper right, edit signature on left side). Pool kind, size, equipment, test kit, etc. That will help us help you in the long run.

I am going to link you to the SLAM page to make sure you have it:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

We will start there.

Kim

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I hate to tell you this but you need to get more regents for the FC test to make it through the SLAM :( I will get our other aussie members here to tell you where to get them from.

Kim

Welcome to TFP!

One of the biggest obstacles that we Aussies face is getting our hands on refills especially for the FAS- DPD test for chlorine. But the good news is that we do have an Aussie supplier that uses their own stuff and their reagents are compatible with Taylor chemicals/chemistry They can be found at this site. http://clearchoicelabs.com.au The real benefit is that you won't be hit with the big postage cost and it should be delivered promptly. The reports of their customer service has also been excellent. They also have a compatibility chart here Test Kit Reagent Compatibility Chart Clear Choice Labs
As others have mentioned you are going to need these refills to successfully complete the SLAM and otter's suggestion of using the 10ml sample is a good one.

Hey thank you everyone,

I'm off to get bleach and acid.

that is a bummer about needing more reagents. I had the Taylor's kit sent through amazon, which was easy but it would be good to fine a local source to postage - thanks for the link Jezza i didn't find this. I assume you are saying that I will need more of the R-0871 and maybe more of the DPD powder R-0870 too? I will move back to using the 10ml test.

Can I check with you leave whether I should be turning the SWG while doing the SLAM or whether there is any value in leaving it generating some chlorine? And is the SLAM likely to damage the cell in anyway?

Thanks

No the SLAM will not damage the cell. As Marion pointed out there is not much point in leaving the SWG on as it generates chlorine slowly and it's harder to get a handle on how much FC you are losing with algae- so just using the liquid chlorine is the way to go.

The R-0870 and R-0871 are the two that you need to get extra of. If you were going to buy from Clearchoice I would consider getting at least 2 bottles of the titration reagent R-0871 and possibly 3- you'll likely go close to using 1 bottle (if not more) with a CYA of 60- that should also bump you over the $50 mark for free postage!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thankyou, I'm overwhelmed with all the really practical help. I have added the acid, and some concentrated chlorine bleach (45gm/l), and have the filter running. I will start checking the Chlorine regularly and will clean the pool a bit later. I have also order a load more reagents from clearchoice (Thanks for the pointer Jezza). Hopefully, it will go as expected!

Brush the pool often as well. That will help break up the bio-wall on the algae and get it all out into the water to be killed then filtered OUT of your pool.

Look at your steps......can you take them out to be deep cleaned?

Just so you know you can swim while you SLAM so long as your FC is just UNDER the SLAM level for your CYA. Just make sure to push the FC back up when you are done.

Kim

sirrahn, I knew from your very first post that you have your act together and did your homework. :goodjob: You'll be just fine. Be patient, memorize that SLAM page, double-check our notes and recommendations above, and you will have this behind you in a reasonable time. Good luck, and have a good week.

Thanks Texas, I've been working up to it for a few weeks and even before this outbreak have been reading this website with is an amazing source of information. I did find the chlorine bleach concentrate at Bunnings but wasn't sure yesterday whether I was calculating the strength accurately. The bottle said 45 g/l and I assumed that this might equate to the section on poolmath where it says "Add .... of ... weight % bleach". I changed the ....weight to be 45 and added the amount given which was just under a litre. This didn't seem to drive the FC up enough so I added more and then fell back to using cal-hypo which I already had to make use that I had FC up enough. I assume I made a mistake with the poolmath calculation but don't really know why!

And the new reagents arrived this morning, so that was very fast.

Thanks all.

The big blue 15L tubs of 'Pool chlorine' from Bunnings or elsewhere are 12.5% chlorine, last time I bought one it was approx $12 though you pay a deposit on the container and just swap out the empties for full ...
Pool math suggests you need approx 4.4L of this to go from 0-24FC on your 23,500Lpool

Sirrahan- at 45g/l it is 4.5% concentrate per litre. You would be much better buying the liquid chlorine in the pool section of Bunnings- comes in 12.5% concentrate so will need to add less (obviously about 1/3 less). I think you will also find that it is much better value- bang for buck! Try to avoid using the Cal hypo at the moment if you can.

Just running through Poolmath you are adding approximately 2FC per litre for your sized pool with the 4.5 %bleach so your going to need 12 litres just to get to SLAM levels, this will be approximately be 6FC per litre with 12.5%. Your target FC for the SLAM should be 24 based on your CYA of 60. Remember you need to try the best you can to maintain FC 24 as much as possible.

Just let us know if you have any more questions.

Great to hear that your reagents have arrived -they are definitely getting a good rap for customer service!

Okay, I thought I had got that wrong. I couldn't see any other bleach at bunnings but will have a look in the pool section again this afternoon for the right stuff. I did get the pool up to 24 FC but it was with the cal hypo.

Oh and thanks for letting me know that we can swim when the FC is below shock, especially as it seems the SLAM might take some time. This will be greatly appreciated by my 10yr old, who was in shock himself.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.