Alternatives to iaqualink?

Jan 10, 2015
Livermore, CA
Hi All,

I upgraded to an iaqualink (v1) about a year ago, and I've been really underwhelmed. I seem to have nonstop issues with it. Mostly software issues (Waiting for connection forever, icons not loading, things getting stuck, etc), but I'm also having hardware issues. For some reason most of my aux relays are always stuck on (the software says they're on, they're on, and they wont turn off in the software), and my pool and spa lights randomly turn on (and when it turns on randomly it wont turn off). Lots of problems all around. Not to mention that the user interface sucks.

Anyway, I'm a bit fed up with the system. I need something that works. Does anyone have any recommendations? Upgrading to an iaqualink v2 would be the easiest option, but since I've had so much difficulty with v1 I'm a bit skeptical investing money in v2. Does anyone have experience with both? Are there any other options people would recommend? I have the aqualinke RS6 control panel in the house, but honestly if I had an app that worked reliably I would never use it. I would be thrilled to switch to an app-only system if it worked reliably.

Thanks in advance!

I have iAquaLink 2 and it works fine. I suspect your system isn't set up or wired right. You might call Jandy and work through some of the issues. What I have found is Jandy wants only "professionals" to set up your system and somehow that requirement makes it so that very few really know what they are doing when they set up the system or try to make changes. My system is set up and works fine, but if I want to change the pump RPM for the cleaning cycle, it is pretty much a guessing game of trial and error. It doesn't need to be that way, but it is. You have to have a solid WiFi or direct connect system. I have a direct connect system and it usually works fine, but not all the time. I have WiFi issues at the house with all my devices so don't want to blame Jandy for that. Call Jandy before you do anything else.

I don't think it's a wiring problem, but I certainly could be wrong. I've spent a fair bit of time trying to debug it with no luck. Furthermore the system worked nearly flawlessly for the first 6 months or so. I do suspect the hard wiring it to the internet would resolve some of the problems, but like I said I'm a bit fed up. Currently it wont even let me log in. I really dislike the engineering of this. There should be a flawless system that allows you to control a pool from a mobile phone. It's honestly not that complicated with modern technology (Raspberry pis, arduinos, etc). I could design/build the system myself if I had a bit more free time. *sigh*

Thanks for the thoughts. I'd happy to hear more opinions.

Version 1.9 only wants to talk to a dedicated wireless "b band" router. Version 2 got rid of that so, V 2.0 does work better. I have had luck getting a b band router (e-bay) and daisy chaining it to the existing router. You are right about hard wiring. I would try to get either a network wire to the equipment area, or the 2 pair comm wire from the RS to your network router. I have also heard of guys getting the 2 pair from the RS panel in the house and going from there. I have not done it this way, so i don't know if it will talk without issues.

Note: If you bring the network cable to the equipment area, it should be sheltered from the weather, otherwise bring the 2 pair to the house instead.

So I just disconnected my spa-side control as well as my indoor aqualink control panel. Now all I have connected via the serial bus is the pump and the iaqualink. And so far... it's working. I can actually control things. Makes me think the serial bus was overloaded. Fingers crossed that this is a long term solution. If everything would just *work* I'd be happy with the iaqualink.

Call Jandy tech support (800-822-7933) and tell them that it just failed. Tell them that it was working ok and one day it just stopped. They'll ask if you made any changes to your network, but tell them no, nothing has changed. You could (wink-wink) temporarily disconnect it from the main board right before the phone call in case they want to try to connect remotely. Even if it's well over one year old, they should send you a v2.0 antenna at no charge.

I have a new customer that just bought a house with the v1.0 installed by the previous owner. His only problem was that he couldn't figure out how to set up the password for his router, so he called Jandy. The tech didn't give him any grief, they just sent a new 2.0 no charge.

The worst thing that can happen is they say no. If that happens, send me a message. I'll track down the local mfg rep and see if we can work it that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.