Pump motor diagnostics...

scratchedup

Gold Supporter
Apr 2, 2013
Fayetteville, GA
Less then 2 years and it appears this motor has failed.
When power is applied it just makes a thud/click noise and does not turn. Is there a way to check the capacitor?

NOTE- I control 2 speed ops through my Autopilot SWG controller so I have electrically by-passed the controller on the motor.

The shaft turns freely.

Given the picture, I assume you checked to see if the shaft turned easily?

If you have a multi-meter, you can do this:

To test the capacitor with a multimeter, set the meter to read in the high ohms range, somewhere above 10k and 1m ohms. Touch the meter leads to the corresponding leads on the capacitor, red to positive and black to negative. The meter should start at zero and then moving slowly toward infinity. This means that the capacitor is in working condition. If the meter stays at zero, the capacitor is not charging through the battery of the meter, meaning it is not working.

In an AC circuit and as a start capacitor, it should not hold much if any charge. But you can just short the terminals with a screw driver to make sure.

Could be a bad thermal limiter too. You did say that the relays are out of the circuit? You might just want to do a continue check to make sure the line voltage is reaching the motor.

Looking at that shaft for 2 years it's not supose to be rusty with that back cover on it. Hard to tell but it looks like bottom nut at motor that connects to seal plate is oxidized. My guess is you had a pump seal leak and let it go. When you have

a pump seal leak it spits chlorinated water down the shaft into the motor causing the ball bearings to rust out. Time for a new motor, unless that pump is older 10 years old then best to replace the whole pump.
'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.