Hayward Tristar not powering on.

Oct 14, 2015
Spring, TX
Just received a hayward tristar sp3200vsp that will be replacing my old hayward northstar pump. I redid the plumbing and rewired the unit, but it will not power on. I figured maybe the wiring was bad or broke somewhere in the conduit, so i redid it using new wire. Checked using a voltmeter and the 2 load lines are getting 240v. Pump is grounded as well. I looked online to see if there are any reviews and I do not see anyone receiving any DOA units, but then again that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have an electrician coming at this weekend and hes pretty familiar with pool pumps so hopefully he can be a help. But until then, does anyone have any other ideas or anything else i can check?? Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

With a variable speed you want constant power so move the pump wires from the load of the intermatic timer (2 , 4) To the line side of the timer (1 , 3) So this way it is tied to direct power and you have a free automatic switch.

Did you take off the controller on the top. or is it hooked to an automation, or is it still on the pump? If the communication wire from the controller isn't connected to the pump then it would look like it's not getting power.

If that's the case make sure you press the start button and also a speed. Let me know whats going on hopefully i can help ya.

I tried connecting it directly to the load instead of the line and got nothing. I left the controller on top and reconnected each time i tested it. The electrician came out and concluded it was DOA, so we ordered a replacement. One thing that seemed somewhat odd is that the unit didn't have test leads on the line terminals, which on videos and the manual it said to remove those before hooking it up. Although minor something have been defective from the factory and somehow still passed inspection. Ill let you know if I have any issues with the new unit. Thank you though.

Got the replacement pump and I got the same results. I tested the line 1 and ground and got 123v, same with line 2 and ground. Then I tried line 1 + line 2 and got 243v. Everything is connected and getting power. I did a continuity test on the panel to make sure the wires are good and they all check out. Switch 1+2 are on and the rest off. I tried turning them all off and still nothing. Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.