Thank you for making light at the end of the tunnel!

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I wanted to send out a thank you to all of you that responded to me in regards to my frustration about having a Green pool after an SWG install.
I am happy to inform you guy's that I have new found confidence thanks to all of you that I can handle the issue. I've got the test kit from Dave S. (thank you Dave for your incredible assistance)...and added clorox (lots of it) a few minutes ago!
I will post a new picture of the pool once I have achieved "clean, clear and blue" results:)
Again thanks!
This site is a pool saver...or better said "nerve" saver....TFP is a frustration eliminator:)
Happy Pool Season to all of you:)
Cheerio!!!!

Congratulations! You are another testament to what one can do when armed with a good test kit and a good understanding about what is happening in your pool. The majority of the members here began the same way. Feels good doesn't it? :-D

Yeah, I can't even describe the feeling of "liberation" I feel....like I noted in my signature..."I control my pool and not the other way around"....if would you have asked me a few days ago, I would have told you that I will fill it in with concrete...lol

It's another day, I feel a bit smarter (about pools that is) and I can sleep well tonight knowing that the clorox is magically making the algea go bye-bye!

BTW: husband tried to nag again today, about the pool, and I was tempted to just kick him in the pool and let the algea eat him but even the algea didn't want to deal with him...lol...!!

Cheerio Folks!

NCSalt said:
BTW: husband tried to nag again today, about the pool, and I was tempted to just kick him in the pool and let the algea eat him but even the algea didn't want to deal with him...lol...!!
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pisces is right on! He will stop nagging when he sees the results! :lol:

"Shock" the DH, now that's too funny :mrgreen:..... :shock: oops, I got a visual..... maybe you ladies are giving me too many ideas :mrgreen:

LMAO - I'm glad to see that you guy' share my sense of humor about my hubby jokes....he's really not that bad - but he sure can nag like a little old lady... :rant:

Thus far I am at 8 jugs of bleach.....going to add some more in a few minutes!
Been draining water, adding fresh so I can get the pesky CYA down...(uh, listen to me I sound chem educated)...this is becoming regular fun for me now...thanks guys for being so responsive and for sharing my sense of humor.

I better get back to the pool and finish my killing-spree :hammer:

Cheerio!

Hi All!

Here is the continuance of my SWG algea-fighting story ...
CYA tested: way above 100 estimated at about 150 -bummer :hammer:
Mon: Bleach-time = added 5 jugs around noon time, then 3 additional ones around 7isch pm
Tues: Added 2 jugs 9:30 am, added additional 5 jugs at 11:30 (had to go to store to get more...lol)
Also tested CYA: close to 100 now, like a 110 (so draining some of the water has helped but I sure have some ways to go)

The new test kit I got makes me feel like I am a super pro! It's like a chem set you got for xmas when you were a kid :lol:
I know I shouldn't be playing with it but I am tempted to do every test under the sun :mrgreen:

OK, so I have a few more questions?
(1) What is the flakey white stuff floading on top of my pool? It happened right after I added the bleach yesterday and put in the hose for fresh water (I had previously, like the beginning of last week, added some Algacide 30%-about 30-40 ounces)
(2) Is the way I am draining the pool sporadically going to help the CYA? Meaning, I've been backwashing, then I vaccum to waste (drops the pool by about 5 inches) then I refill so the water does not drop below the skimmers.
(3) The fiberglass stairs have begun to slightly stain again, it's a soft yellow, should I get stain free by Natural Chemistry or should I wait it out until I am done with the Algea killing?

Thanks in advance for your "priceless" recommendations!!
Cheerio!

NCSalt said:
Hi All!
(1) What is the flakey white stuff floading on top of my pool? It happened right after I added the bleach yesterday and put in the hose for fresh water (I had previously, like the beginning of last week, added some Algacide 30%-about 30-40 ounces)
(2) Is the way I am draining the pool sporadically going to help the CYA? Meaning, I've been backwashing, then I vaccum to waste (drops the pool by about 5 inches) then I refill so the water does not drop below the skimmers.

Everytime you backwash the filter, drop the water level, and add water it's going to dilute the CYA in the water. It's just not going to drop it fast and that means that you must maintain a higher chlorine level.

How hard is your water? -I live in Oak Ridge and mine is HARD, to the point that I only use powdered shock (which contains calcium too) in an emergency, which I haven't had in 2 years :lol: .

Exactly what Algacide did you put in :?: ?

What's your SWG set to? Right now let the bleach (plain 6%, nothing else right?) do the job. If you keep your SWG running at a high level make sure that you keep the PH and TA under control.

It takes POP to not want it "fixed right now" so I use my energy to brush away. I shut my SWG to 10% during the pool startup: I figure it's not needed and the water is too cold to effectively use it anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi fuzzy..ty for the reply!
Ps: Im in Raleigh!

Here are todays test results (done 10 minutes ago)
CC = 55ppm (oh yeah)
TA = 140
Salt = 3700 at 40% (I will turn it down to 10)
CYA = approx. 95-100 (got a bit lower)
Ph = 8.2 or even higher....(added powdered acid bc I had nothing else and thought I need to get it down asap)
CL (when testing with the blue test kit, the cl/ph kit, turned orange) = guess it's of the charts

I am still adding fresh water, backwased and vaccumed to waste this morning....as soon as water is a bit higher I will backwash again and vaccum to waste again too.

I will get Muratic Acid later on today! Or make the naggy husband do it...lol
I'm sure the pool is going to be where it needs to be sooner or later....I am practicing as much patience as I can muster :hammer:

Cheerio!

NCSalt said:
the green monster :rant:
-> CC = 55ppm?? What test did you use?
-You can dilute the pool water 50/50 with distilled water and test to see what the CL is (x2). It won't be exact but will put you in the ballpark. 55 seems extreme, even to me!
-> Exactly what Algacide did you put in :?: ?

Remember that high chlorine readings will also give you false high PH readings. Use the calculator to get yourself in the ballpark and then fine tune it when the "green gunk" has been wiped out. You need to get your PH and TA down anyway. Drop the PH and TA with acid and aerorate to bring the PH back up :mrgreen: .
-Are you still running the filter 24x7 and brushing :?: ?

I was buying muratic @Lowes last year and if my memory is correct was paying $8-$9 per gal. I stopped by Home Depot Monday night and they had a "2-gal" pack for $10. I've found that muratic is just as easy to work with, I just keep my eyes covered with safety glasses and keep my nose away from it! With a SWG the PH will rise anyway so I'll use it this summer... I've been thinking about adding borates as well which will require more acid.

fuzzy_dba said:
NCSalt said:
the green monster :rant:
-> CC = 55ppm?? What test did you use?
-You can dilute the pool water 50/50 with distilled water and test to see what the CL is (x2). It won't be exact but will put you in the ballpark. 55 seems extreme, even to me!
-> Exactly what Algacide did you put in :?: ?

The Algecide was Aqua Chem Algaecide 20% (concentrated formula)

CC was a typo, I did the Chlorine drop test with the kit I just got....maybe i need to redo it....if 55 really does seem to high!

I just vaccumed to waster again, and will add more bleach before I have to take off for the rest of the day!
This story will continue tomorrow!
Thanks for your help!
Cheerio!

Hey, NC,

Ph = 8.2 or even higher....(added powdered acid bc I had nothing else and thought I need to get it down asap)
CL (when testing with the blue test kit, the cl/ph kit, turned orange) = guess it's of the charts
Do not add any more acid. Very high FC levels (which you have) will make the pH reading completely unreliable.

Your pH was 7.2 day before and not much was added to change that.

How much dry acid did you apply?

Duraleigh:
HOW much powdered acid did I add: A good beer size worth (that's german terms & size...lol), seriously I added about 20 ounces.....before, the blue test kit resulted in a 8.5 or higher reading of the PH.....darn it appears that I have a lot more to learn!

I have not re-tested as of yet, will do that in the am since I need to get going and take care of "my usual" life....the pool is taking over my live...lol

Thanks!
Cheerio!

No problemo......You're still okay!

You probably are down right around 7.0 now. Just don't attempt to adjust pH anymore until your FC comes on down from shock level......then your testing will be accurate.

duraleigh said:
You probably are down right around 7.0 now. Just don't attempt to adjust pH anymore until your FC comes on down from shock level......then your testing will be accurate.
Thanks Dave... Not knowing what happened 'yesterday' is not good and was a mistaken 'assumption' on my part.

Any idea about what's floating on the water?

Tis probably a side affect of the algaecide.

FYI, for future reference, no need to use algaecide when fighting an algae bloom. Just a lot of chlorine!

Can you post the updated FAS-DPD test? Something isn't right with your results....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.