Thank you for making light at the end of the tunnel!

NCSalt,

No need to test again for CYA until you have drained a total of at least 2 - 2.5 feet of water.

Can't test for pH because your FC is too high but we know it was 7.2 when you started (it won't change much)

TA test is not important for now

CH test is not important for now.

CC's test can come a little later, too.

So, you only have to do one test......

1. Test each evening for FC. (Your goal should be to keep it at 25ppm or so) So, if you test and it's 25+, leave it alone until you test the next evening. If it's say 15ppm, then you would add enough to bring it up to 25ppm. In your case, one gallong of 6% bleach will raise your FC by approx 5ppm so you would put in two gallons....GALLONS, not bottles.

Use Jason's calculator in my sig to help you calculate your dosage. try to keep it pretty accurate but it does not have to be perfect. You should see daily improvement in the clarity of your pool. For some reason, yours seems terribly slow to respond but, because it seems you have eliminated copper, there is really no other possibility but algae and chlorine will kill it sooner or later. Looks like later in your case.

Keep with the program. It will easy to be discouraged.....especially with your slow responding pool. Let us know if it stops getting better. :lol:

If those are in fact, drains at the bottom, and you need to make that determination....make sure they are functioning, if your deepend is not getting proper circulation that could have something to do with all of this...

frustratedpoolmom said:
If those are in fact, drains at the bottom, and you need to make that determination....make sure they are functioning, if your deepend is not getting proper circulation that could have something to do with all of this...

Got a call in to the original pool builder to find out! Let you know then!

NCSalt said:
...there are two round thingy's in the deep end bottom but not sure if those are drains...
Those should be "dual main drains" 8) . The reason there's 2 is for safety; so that no one gets stuck on the main drain due to the suction.
Since it sounds like you have 2 skimmers and a main drain look at the input to the pump (it'll look like a skimmer basket with a clear top). Does your input pipe have a valve (or 2) that can be used to alter the water flow from either skimmer and/or the main drain?
If so, I'd adjust it so that it pulls more water from the deep end (main drain) so that the water circulates well there. Don't shut the skimmers off; just make sure that the main drains are involved in the water flow.

BTW, the water does appear to be clearing up. I'm wondering about the 'yellowing' of the steps too but I think that Jason has that one nailed with the sequestrant.

Ok, you have a FC of 25 now. That's a drop of 15 since yesterday. You need to do the testing after sunset and before sunrise and compare for an overnight loss. That way we take sunlight out of the equasion.

So after all the going in circles, :hammer: this may be that your deepend just isn't getting proper circulation, so that the massive amounts of FC never made their way to the deepend! :shock:

What are your water numbers?
The water is looking MUCH better!!!

When the shocking and metals are out of the water and you are finished shocking remember to reset the duty cycle (%) on the SWG to what you had been using.
I forgot to do that last year (dumb stunt) and would have had a green tinge if I hadn't been checking the CC and FC levels daily :hammer: !

Terry in NC

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Butterfly said:
How about an update with a pic or two? :mrgreen:
If it wasn't raining today I would take some new pictures...but let's wait til the sun shines again...and yes, the pool is finally CLEAN, CLEAR & BLUE:)

Thanks for all your help, support and for putting up with my not-knowing-about-way-to-much-stuff...but I am getting there!
Cheerio!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.