Thank you for making light at the end of the tunnel!

Any idea about what's floating on the water?
Almost surely a result of using algaecide.

While I have never used it, there are many. many reports on the forum of algaecide causing foam. If I remember, I think it's the cheaper stuff (not poly 60%) that seems to do it.

It's harmless enough and will soon disappear.

jagfan, chlorine alone takes care of mustard algae just fine if you do it right. If you want to discuss it, you should start a new topic in the Algae area and ask about the correct procedure for fighting mustard algae.

Hi All!

Bleach Chart (jugs 6%) that I've added:
Mon: total of 8
Tues: total of 9
Wed: total of 5

Today's readings:
PH = 7.8
FC = 40 (per drop test)
since the CYA level is right around a 100 according to the test I did yesterday....and looking at the CYA/Chlorine Chart, the levels are good and the chlorine should be kicking the algea's :whip: butt.
CYA = 100 then FC = 39

:arrow: I think I finally understand the chart :idea:

The pool is still the same green as yesterday, so I admit to be a bit frustrated, also bc the "you-know'who" is still nagging :blah:
:?: is there anything that I am not doing or do I just need to exercise patience? :grrrr:

Well, off I go to buy more Bleach...Dave S. was right, I am getting sick of the Bleach-Jugs :x

Cheerio!!!

One more thing!

Should I test the CYA again today? (I'm soon going to run out of the testing chem)....I backwashed earlier today and let some water out on waste....I filled fresh water for about 2-2 hours earlier today....and just turned the hose back on for refill after I had let water out to waste.

thanks!
Cheerio!

frustratedpoolmom said:
How much did backwashing lower the water level in the Pool?

Incl. draining (via waste setting on filter) about 4 inches today.
Yesterday about the same and same monday....so in all I gather I've drained over a foot of water and refilled the same!

I figured that if I do it this way I do not have to turn off my filter (since otherwise the water would be below my skimmers) and can continue to add bleach, run the filter and vaccum continuesly!

When you tested it on Monday and it was 100 was that before or after Monday's 4" of fresh water?

Duraleigh said on another post a pool that averages 48" depth that a 4" rain would result in approx 10% dilution....

1 foot of water all at once is a greater decrease of CYA than 4 inches 3 times....if that makes sense. :hammer:

The thing about the CYA test is it only goes up to 100, so it could in fact, be higher.... :rant:

I would do a couple more partial drains if you can and test after that... :wink:

NCSalt,

I would estimate your first CYA test to have been 150 and possibly more.....a little hard to tell.

It will take (in your pool) probably 3 total feet of draining to get down around 70.

I am very surprised you green has not faded. Keep us posted.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
frustratedpoolmom said:
When you tested it on Monday and it was 100 was that before or after Monday's 4" of fresh water?

Duraleigh said on another post a pool that averages 48" depth that a 4" rain would result in approx 10% dilution....

Yes, the CYA was tested before I began draining any water, at that point it was definately over 100, and we guesstimated a level of 125.....I re-did the test yesterday and it appeared slightly under the 100 mark....!

I must say that I am baffeled as to why the pool is still green after I've added so much bleach, in total I've added 22 jugs of bleach over three days... :evil: but as of this afternoon it appears that the water is becoming greener again :?:

I am back to being frustrated :grrrr:
Cheerio!

NC,

Have you been using some copper-based products (algaecide) for an extended period?

If your pool is not clearer tomorrow, I think we should start exploring the possibility of copper in your water. It will be easy to confirm by doing an overnight FC test. Tell us what the water looks like tomorrow before later afternoon.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Have you had your copper levels tested?

In the one photo showing your whole pool, I can clearly see the ladder, the water is a clear-green, yes? Not a murky, cloudy green?

Yes, the picture is of the entire pool but a foot of the left is missing that's where the waterfall is. I am attaching another view of it with this post so hope that helps!

Yes, the water is green but clear, not murky just green but otherwise clean and clear!!

Attachments

• IMG_3735.JPG
    IMG_3735.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 118
duraleigh said:
NC,

Have you been using some copper-based products (algaecide) for an extended period?

If your pool is not clearer tomorrow, I think we should start exploring the possibility of copper in your water. It will be easy to confirm by doing an overnight FC test. Tell us what the water looks like tomorrow before later afternoon.

I don't think that I've used copper-based products...but then again, it's not like I've read the back of the box (most don't tell you what's in it anyway)....I have not used much algea products...!

Last test done at the pool shop, last week, had no signs of any metals but I am not sure if he tested copper specifically or not but I can go there in the AM and have it tested. PS: what do I do if it is copper!

Im not liking the green monster lurking around, I really dont! :grrrr:

One last question, your FC drop test of 40....you are dividing by two? You added 80 drops???

Frequent use of copper based algaecides can cause some the water in some pools to take on a greenish tint, that's why I was asking the q's. Is that pic from today? You had mentioned staining on the steps in an earlier post...are they gone?

frustratedpoolmom said:
One last question, your FC drop test of 40....you are dividing by two? You added 80 drops???

Frequent use of copper based algaecides can cause some the water in some pools to take on a greenish tint, that's why I was asking the q's. Is that pic from today? You had mentioned staining on the steps in an earlier post...are they gone?

Yes, when I did the test I added 80 drops, I was like :scratch:

Maybe this is not algea after all but copper? I am back to toal confusion at this point :hammer:

Lets go back to the beginning. In your first post you said "stains disappeared". And then "added as told again, green disappears". Then right away things got confusing, with impossible test results, figuring out the pool volume, foaming, and adding way too much chlorine.

Can you tell us more about those stains? What did they look like and do you remember what the treatment was that made them disappear?

If those stains were originally copper stains, and something you did removed the stains, the copper would end up in the water. Copper in the water and large amounts of bleach tends to result in clear transparent green water. If that is what happened, the correct way to solve the problem is to use sequestrant. If I am right, adding sequestrant should turn the pool blue right away. At this point I think it is probably worth the cost of a good quality bottle of sequestrant to test my theory, but that is up to you. I suggest either ProTeam's Metal Magic, or Jack's Magic The Purple Stuff.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of other problems: foaming, high CYA, and high FC. The foaming and high FC should both go away on their own, though it may take a while. You need to keep working on lowering the high CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.