Stains after adding salt.... Help.

Sep 13, 2013
South Florida
Hi all.

Pool just got replastered over a month ago. Yesterday I decided to go ahead and add the salt to charge my SWCG. As always I checked here first and found some posts that members had successfully used the Diamond Crystal pool salt from Home Depot. I went and purchased it and added to the pool. Instantly after adding and brushing I could see shades and "stains" on the bottom. I tried vitamin c and didn't touch it. Wondering any other recommendations or ideas to remove them.

Water Chem

Ph 7.6
Chl. 5.5
Cal. 325
TA. 80
CYA. 60
Salt. 3350

Thanks in advance.

Acid was generally used to correct the staining. Try putting a trichlor puck on a stain to see if it helps. If it does it is organic and an acid bath will help. If it doesn't then put a vitamin C, ascorbic acid, tablet on it to see what happens. If that helps it is an inorganic stain, likely metal. More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Tried vitamin c and nothing. Poured acid on the spot using a pvc no change. Poured chlorine using same technique and still nothing. Here are a few pictures of what it looks like. I'm stating to feel like the salt actually damaged the plaster if that's possible.

Sorry you are having trouble.

For background, though I see you waited 30 days, here is a post from someone very knowledgeable IME about plaster, in which they did experiments with salt additions:
When Should Salt be Added?

You may wish to reach out to the author, onBalance, to see if he has any suggestions for a conversation with your plaster company and courses for remedy.
Best wishes for a resolution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The MSDS for that particular brand of pool salt says it contains 8ppm sodium ferrocyanide (yellow prussiate of soda) as an impurity from the manufacturing process. It's an anti caking agent. It's not a high enough concentration to be a problem in the pool water BUT if the solid salt particles were in contact with the plaster long enough, it could be mild iron staining.

You'd have to see if they go away with time or you might need to do an Ascorbic acid treatment. How long did you let the vitamin C sit on the spots for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

This appears to be a color pigment plaster job, is that true? Is it quartz or a pebble finish, and what color are the stains that you see?
And are you sure that the plaster finish did not have these stains before adding salt?

Thank you all for the help and input so far. It is a quarts finish. Marbletite sapphire. Left the vitamin c on for a few minutes and no change. I'm 100% the stains were not there before the salt. You can almost make out where the salt hit the pool floor and I started to brush away.

Sorry about not responding sooner.
Some color pigments are "organic" and should not be used. Inorganic pigments are better to use. But color pigments for pool plaster are always problematic. You might ask the PB or plasterer what was used. Organic pigments will often bleach out in the presence of chlorine.

I don't know if "salt" will cause problems with organic pigments, as opposed to inorganic, but it is not good to allow salt to sit on any kind of plaster surface for more than an hour. This sounds like like an interesting experiment that can be performed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.