Murphys/CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hi, I have owned a pool for about a year now that was built back in 1984. Its 12,000 gallons with an attached 810 gallon spa that spills into it. Also it is indoors. My propane heater broke when we first got the house and now were looking at rebuilding our whole pump system and adding a heat pump to it. We want to go electric b/c we are adding solar our house that will hopefully cover most of the cost of heating the pool. If that doesn't fit into our budget then just adding water solar panels to the pool system. I am trying to figure out what is the best setup for our pool and spa as far as how many pumps, one for the spa and one for the pool and what pumps and filters i should be running. Best automated pool cleaner, electric vs suction and if its suction should it be on its own pump? The pump I have now doesn't have enough suction for the pool cleaner to climb the walls. I don't really trust most of our pool people around where we live due to the fact that no one has ever had anything good to say about any of them so i'm trying to gain as much good knowledge as I can before we rebuild. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Please click 'settings' upper right and 'Edit Profile' lower left and add your state to your profile. Climate and location are very important in helping with pool maintenance and heating advise.

Are you looking to keep the pool heated all the time? Or keep it generally warm with solar panels and spot heat it to temp on weekends or occasionally? How much do you need to raise the water temp generally?

Depending on your location, roof orientation and available space solar water panels can provide plenty of heat for a pool and it can be supplemented with a heat pump if you intend to maintain the pool temp. How many panels and if the panels are on a roof one story up or two will impact the advise on the size of the pump.

Heating a spa to 100+ degrees with solar or a heat pump will take a long time if it is possible at all. A gas/propane heater is generally better for heating spas fairly quickly. You could also use the gas/propane heater to supplement the solar panels.

Robot cleaners are all the rage these days. Everyone seems to be trading in their suction and pressure cleaners for robots.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.