new pool owner, what do these valves control? HELP

Feb 26, 2016
florida
IMG_1750.jpgIMG_1752.jpgIMG_1751.jpg

Brand new to pools and need some assistance please. I do not know what the jandy valves control the one in the back nearest the wall I'm sure goes to the skimmer/bottom pool drain but I'm not sure what to set it at. next my biggest question is the jandy valve in the front that goes to the solar panels on the roof! If I leave it at it's current setting what is it doing? If I turn the jandy valve to the left so it CLOSES the pipe on the left my filter pressure jumps to 30PSI if I leave it where it is now it runs around 10psi. I would like to use the solar panel since the water in the pool I cold but I'm not sure where to turn the jandy valve. Next when I shut the pool pump off I can hear all the water come rushing down from the solar panels and back into the pool is this normal or is my check valve broken? I also have 1 jet that is blowing bubbles I have rebuilt both jandy valves and replaced my pump motor with a bran new 1hp motor I also just replaced the square seal on top of the pump cover and it has not fixed the bubbles coming out of 1 jet. Thanks

Here's my take on it .... the valve near the back, low and close to the house, is the final valve before returning to the pool. That's on your pressure side, after the filter and after the water would be heated by the panels. So it looks like you have two return options - one for return jets (eyeballs) or somewhere else (spa or water feature perhaps)?

The valve on the vertical pole going up of course is to your solar panels. Initially, it would appear that depending on the position of that valve, you could have water going up to the panels, or possibly by-pass them and have the water would go left towards the in-line chlorinator. But the water looks like it could still travel up that far left pole (going to the roof) unless water pressure forces it towards the chlorinator and out the last vale to the pool. You definitely don't want to just close that valve because then the water has nowhere to go.

Finally, any air bubbles would be an indication of a suction side leak, so check really well from the filter "backwards" towards the pump basket. Check the lid's O-ring and stuff really well. Here's a good page: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Your concern about water rushing back down when the system is off is not unique. Not sure if that's just expected since I don't see a check valve anywhere on that left side. Someone else with panels will reply later I'm sure.

Here's my take on it .... the valve near the back, low and close to the house, is the final valve before returning to the pool. That's on your pressure side, after the filter and after the water would be heated by the panels. So it looks like you have two return options - one for return jets (eyeballs) or somewhere else (spa or water feature perhaps)?

The valve on the vertical pole going up of course is to your solar panels. Initially, it would appear that depending on the position of that valve, you could have water going up to the panels, or possibly by-pass them and have the water would go left towards the in-line chlorinator. But the water looks like it could still travel up that far left pole (going to the roof) unless water pressure forces it towards the chlorinator and out the last vale to the pool. You definitely don't want to just close that valve because then the water has nowhere to go.

Finally, any air bubbles would be an indication of a suction side leak, so check really well from the filter "backwards" towards the pump basket. Check the lid's O-ring and stuff really well. Here's a good page: Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks. Hope that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Your concern about water rushing back down when the system is off is not unique. Not sure if that's just expected since I don't see a check valve anywhere on that left side. Someone else with panels will reply later I'm sure.

There Is a check valve below the jandy valve that regulates the solar panels. I don't believe it is working as I can hear water gurgling when the pump is running and when shut off it comes rushing back down.

Gee, I must be losing my mind (or eyesight). Below the Jandy valve on the vertical run, I only see the white union - at least it just appears to be a union disconnect to me from the photo. Is that what you are referring to? I thought it was just a union disconnect for easy disassembly. I'm so used to check valves having a clear lid or side wall for visibility.

The more I think of it though, there's really nothing close to be a disconnect for. So if that's a check valve, it's very possible it's stuck. Could be a relatively easy fix/replacement. No indication of change on that part if you give it a few "love taps" in case something jars loose inside?

Besides that, did the rest of my descriptions make sense - the valve against the house, etc?

Oh, and let's not forget that often times an air leak (as indicated in your earlier description) can cause a pressure imbalance when the pump is off. That could also be a contributor to some of your issues.

I also see that I didn't answer your valve position question. The Jandy valve on the vertical run appears to be open right now (handle down - closed up). That would indicate to me that water is allowed to flow to one side or the other, then return down the other PVC run. If you turn that valve 90 degrees sideways, then you close-off one side going up to the roof. The curved part opposite the handle on my valve actually is marked "closed".

My gut tells me water travels through that Jandy valve, up the right vertical run to the panels, then returns down the left side into the in-line chlorinator before water goes back to the pool.

That valve needs to have the handle pointing to the left to bypass solar and to the right to engage solar. With the valve set as it is now it is sending water up both sides of the solar panels. I have a check valve like that and it gurgle some too. Seems to be fairly normal and seems to work fine. The solar isn't plumbed as it "normally" is done. There are pics of my solar valve, bypass and check valve in my build thread, link in sig.

Sure thing! It helps to understand solar after you figure it out and install it. Lots of head scratching before that.

You are correct, right side up to the panels left side down from the panels. There should also be a check on the left side vertical to stop water from flowing up the pipe when solar is bypassed.

That valve needs to have the handle pointing to the left to bypass solar and to the right to engage solar. With the valve set as it is now it is sending water up both sides of the solar panels. I have a check valve like that and it gurgle some too. Seems to be fairly normal and seems to work fine. The solar isn't plumbed as it "normally" is done. There are pics of my solar valve, bypass and check valve in my build thread, link in sig.
the solar panels

is it normal when you engage the solar for the psi on the filter to jump from 10 psi o 25-30psi?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, it is normal for the pressure to increase when solar is engaged. I don't know what my pressure goes up to though. Guess I should look at it sometime. It is off right now, too dang cold here still.

Re: plumbing is all backwards

That is not true. The pump does not work that way. The pump sucks in from the pipe in front of it. Then the filter, chlorinator, and back to pool.

You may only have a single suction line. The floor may be plumbed to the bottom of the skimmer. Both my pools have been that way.

We diagnosed this issue in your previous thread below. The solar valve cannot be in that position, it has to be left or right and you need a check valve on the left pipe coming from the solar panels so that when solar is off the water doesn't go up the pipe to the solar panels.

new pool owner, what do these valves control? HELP

I'm aware the solar valve cannot be in that setting this is an old picture. there is a check valve directly below the valve for the solar. All this plumbing is original, I just bought the home a few months ago. If this is only a single suction line, then what are the two pvc line's coming up out of the ground with the valve on top of them going to?

You need 2 check valves for a solar system.

No way for us to know what the 2 return lines are for. Isolate them and see where the water comes out.

One will go to the returns and the other could go to a waterfall (like mine does) or other water feature, bubblers, etc?

Yes, two check valves are required, there is a pic of my solar plumbing in my build thread, link in sig. The left pipe comes from the filter and goes up to the panels and the right pipe comes from the panels and goes to the SWG/pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.