Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to disconnect a underwater pool light?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to disconnect a underwater pool light?

I am getting ready to open up my pool. My question is in regards to the underwater light. Ever since we had the pool installed in 2003 the light has not worked properly. The last 5 years I have not used it due to that fact. My question is what can I do to uninstall or close it up? It seems to be a soure for algae growth, etc. I feel very uncomfortable with the electric still hooked up to it since it has never worked properly. Any help will be greatly appreciated. It is a Aqua Lumin II Nicheless Light.
    17500 gallon, fiberglass, inground,
    SWG IntelliChlor, Model IC40
    Sta Rite Modular Filter, Model S7MD60
    Jacuzi Magnum Force Pump
    Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to disconnect a underwater pool light?

I don't know of anything you could easily do to cover over it, but if you want the power disconnected that's a pretty easy step. Turn off the breaker, open the light junction box (near the poolside behind where the light is installed. Usually a black box with two gray pipes going up into it), disconnect the wires and cap them with wire nuts.

3. Back To Top    #3

That light is pretty easy to swap bulbs in. I'd be inclined to figure out what is wrong and get it working. If somebody would fall in the pool at night, it could be pretty difficult to help them without a pool light
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

I have replaced the bulb 3 times and seals..... also I bought a floating pool light, a GlowBuoy, it works really well. I guess my concern is what if something in the electrical goes wrong while in the pool....maybe I'm just paranoid...
    17500 gallon, fiberglass, inground,
    SWG IntelliChlor, Model IC40
    Sta Rite Modular Filter, Model S7MD60
    Jacuzi Magnum Force Pump
    Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 Pool Cleaner