Altamonte Springs, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello,

My readings and actions today:

FC 5.5 chlorine added to hit 7.0. Level was 7.0 on Wednesday.
PH 8.0 acid added to hit 7.4
TA 110
CYA ~60 as far I can tell

Cleaned my Hayward C1200e filter. Pressure went from 18 lbs before cleaning to 8 lbs right after cleaning to 12 pounds after about 4 hours.

Do you think the ring is pollen? I attached a picture of the ring around the pool which I wiped off today. I'm assuming it is pollen because we have it on our cars and it looks like it's on the pool screen roof. There's other small debris on the surface of the water which bugs hubby to no end. "Why doesn't that stuff get filtered out?" I'm pretty sure we have a 50% skimmer/50% main drain flow (is that what it should be?) but maybe the debris is too small and passes through the filter. Or we just get more the next day from the neighbor's trees!

We have a cartridge filter and I know they don't filter particles as small as a DE filter would. 15 years ago we lived in a house where we built a vinyl liner pool with a DE filter, SWG, a pool screen and NO trees near. The water was crystal clear. I think hubby is expecting the same perfection but I don't think it's possible with the neighbor's trees dumping stuff onto the pool screen, especially when we have had lots of wind.

Other than the ring and some very small debris on the surface, the water is beautiful (see attached photo)! Teaching hubby to use the test kit while I am out of town for a week.

For those who read my intro post, no I haven't done my light yet. Did you read the post from the guy who recently did his light and about froze to death! Also, ignore the floating chlorine dispenser. It's empty and it there to entertain the cat. Also, I guess I have to take pictures with my phone turned sideways because I can't seem to find a way to rotate these.

Pollen in the Pool.jpg

Attachments

• Pool 2-26-2016 rotated.jpg
    Pool 2-26-2016 rotated.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 181
That would be my suspicion - pollen. Not much you can do there except try to encourage good surface movement to the skimmer. Do you use a skimmer sock? You know, like a nylon or paint straining net to catch small things that go right through the factor skimmer basket holes? I have a Hayward C1200 as well, and having that extra layer of filtering at the skimmer entrance does a fine job for my pool. The skimmer sock is a blessing for sure. Just make sure that you have good surface movement. It's that time of year where vegetation is waking-up, so we just have to watch it. Good to see you know what to do with your test results. Very nice. :goodjob:

That looks like pollen to me as well. However if you wanted to confirm to make sure it is not something growing in the pool you could put a bucket of water next to the pool and after a day or two look at it. It should also have pollen it, I had to do this the first year with my pool as I wasn't sure if it was my fiber alternative of DE going back into the pool.

Yup, that sure looks like pollen!
Its spring time in Florida....here in Georgia we're not too far behind you. Yellow pollen will overtake everything for a month or so. My skimmer sock will be filled with the fluffy stuff and the sock will require close monitoring for a while, but it sure saves it from getting to the filter.

My pump pressure was back up to 11-12 lbs within 5-6 hours. The filter is a Hayward C1200e and is 6-7 months old. It got kind of gunked up during the phosphorous removal phiasco! If I stick my finger deep into the pleat, I can still feel some slime. I hosed it out really well until the water coming out the bottom looked clear.

Is it time to purchase a new filter? Name brand? Other? I see other C1200 filters but not specifically the C1200e. What is the difference between the C1200, C1200e, C1200RE? Should I be looking to an old thread?

Brushing may help. I think it tends to stick to the sides, so it doesn't get filtered out like other particles. We have the same problem at our house in June. There is a yellow green cloud of dust on everything for a few days. I can even seeing flying through the air when the wind blows.

Before you purchase a new filter, take a careful look at your chemistry. It sounds to me like you have algae growing in your water (even though you cannot see it).

I would suggest you perform the OCLT found in Pool School and, if you do not pass, you should SLAM the pool.

It also sounds like your cartridge is due for a thorough cleaning. There is an article in Pool School.

Hey FloridaPoolGal, when the time comes ...... I ordered my C1200 cartridge filter from Amazon. Just have your model number handy and it's an easy purchase at a much better price than locally at the pool store - close to 50% cheaper. :) Once you get a new filter, maybe consider deep cleaning the old one and saving it as a back-up just in case. HERE is the page Dave was talking about.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Brushing may help. I think it tends to stick to the sides, so it doesn't get filtered out like other particles. We have the same problem at our house in June. There is a yellow green cloud of dust on everything for a few days. I can even seeing flying through the air when the wind blows.

I think I'm happy to have it collect on the pool. It's not hard to wipe it off although it takes about 1/2 a roll of paper towels.

I'm pretty sure that is pollen. I know, with the warming temperatures, I've had to start using the skimmer sock that I haven't needed since the end of summer. pH is VERY important and should be checked daily, along with the chlorine. Knowing the CC level is as important as knowing the FC level. Complete test results would be helpful.

Hey FloridaPoolGal, when the time comes ...... I ordered my C1200 cartridge filter from Amazon. Just have your model number handy and it's an easy purchase at a much better price than locally at the pool store - close to 50% cheaper. :) Once you get a new filter, maybe consider deep cleaning the old one and saving it as a back-up just in case. HERE is the page Dave was talking about.

I see cartridges available on Amazon but none of the size checking apps recognize my c1200e cartrdge. I'm assuming a c1200 is basically a c1200 but I'm very curious what the 'e' and the 'RE' mean after the c1200.

Are you getting a Hayward filter or another brand for the great price? I think I paid about $85-$90 at my local Pool Shack for the Hayward c1200e.

I'm pretty sure that is pollen. I know, with the warming temperatures, I've had to start using the skimmer sock that I haven't needed since the end of summer. pH is VERY important and should be checked daily, along with the chlorine. Knowing the CC level is as important as knowing the FC level. Complete test results would be helpful.

FC 10.0 (starting another thread because I don't know what happened to get CL this high after adding chlorine yesterday morning! I tested late yesterday after adding CL and got this CL level reading. Thought I had made an error so told myself, "I'll just check it in the morning." Still 10.0 this morning, i.e. 20 drops to get the water clear during the test. Did the test twice.)
CC 0
pH 7.5 (added acid yesterday to get here)
CH 375 This is slightly elevated from where we have been because we have had to add tap water 3 times over the last 2 months due to evaporation (we've had wind with low humidity).
H2O 62 degrees

I see cartridges available on Amazon but none of the size checking apps recognize my c1200e cartridge. I'm assuming a c1200 is basically a c1200 but I'm very curious what the 'e' and the 'RE' mean after the c1200. Are you getting a Hayward filter or another brand for the great price? I think I paid about $85-$90 at my local Pool Shack for the Hayward c1200e.
Here's what I ordered last summer:
Pleatco PA120 Replacement Cartridge (about $54). I also ordered Hayward CX900F Filter Head O-ring (about $10) for my filter housing. Usually you can compare the measurements listed, and their website usually tells you if it's compatible with your filter housing (see the following)

In comparison, the "ePoolshoP has those filters HERE, but for about $72. But you can compare the measurements once again. Oh, HERE is the Amazon link. Looks to be about $79 there. Humm. THIS is the one I ordered last summer for $55. The measurements between the two are very close. Amazon says this on the C-1200RE page:
Cartridge For the Hayward C1200 Star Clear Filter CX1200RE
. You might be able to use either filter. But at least you have a couple choices.... probably more with some more help from Google. :)

Well...you really do not need my input at this point, cause by now I'm sure you know that is Pollen. I'm just a few hours north of you, and the pine pollen has been worse than normal this year. Ive learned now (the hard way) to follow the TFP method. It will prevent the problems associated with the pollen in your pool. Just my two cents

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.