Cameras - Which ones?

Aug 12, 2015
Cypress
I wasn't sure where to put this so hopefully I'm in the right place. I've noticed that a lot of TFPers have security cameras that they often record and post pictures of their pool building etc. Which camera systems do you use and recommend? We're looking to set something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So not exactly the answer to your question, but I used my iPad and an app called laps it. I put the iPad inside in a second story window and programmed the app to take one picture a minute and let it run all day on the big days of the build. The finished video only takes a few minutes.

image.jpg

I have a Annke 4 - 720P POE Camera System with a 1TB DVR. Got it off Amazon for $220ish IIRC. I'm very happy with it! Very clear images, mobile app viewing, plenty options that I don't even have a clue how they work.

I highly suggested regardless what brand or specs you go with, make sure it's a POE system. A POE (Power Over Ethernet) system uses a Cat5/6 Ethernet cable to provide power from the DVR to the camera AND provides video signal from the camera back to the DVR all in the same cord. Make running the cables easier and making your own is very easy too!

Wayne

I'm using Sighthound software with wired and wi-fi connections, with a mixture of cameras from D-Link to Foscam. I recommend, whatever it takes, to gain bandwidth to handle HD cameras. One or more dedicated network boards and routers, coupled with a fast computer, make it happen. And it can be FTPed off site to a secure location.

Here is a screen shot from my phone of the pool today. Sorry about the leaves, it was about to rain and the wind was kicking.

BF1C132C-76BE-444A-BEF8-2953A1B77171.jpg

Here is a link to the system. It may be far from the best but it's great for my needs. The customer service from the manufacturer sucks. I can understand more words from my 2 year old than I could from them. But it's pretty self explanatory. A friend of mine bought the 8 camera system that I installed at his house and he likes it also.

[Power Over Ethernet] Annke 4CH 720P (1280x720) HD NVR Recorder +1TB HDD W/4*1.0MP HD Weatherproof Security Camera System (100ft Superior Night Vision, Easy Remote Access, Motion Detect, Free App) Amazon.com : [Power Over Ethernet] Annke 4CH 720P (1280x720) HD NVR Recorder +1TB HDD W/4*1.0MP HD Weatherproof Security Camera System (100ft Superior Night Vision, Easy Remote Access, Motion Detect, Free App) : Camera Photo
Wayne

Im using a SWANN system as the "base" setup, I bought a 8ch. DVR that came with 4 cameras and I have added a few dome cameras from Amazon"

SwannStore USA SwannStore.com

Amazon.com : R-Tech RVD70W 1000TVL Outdoor Dome Security Camera with Night Vision and 2.8-12 mm Varifocal Lens (White) : Camera Photo

cameras.jpg

The quality is decent, its not HD but it gets the job done, this pic is from the desktop software from SWANN, i also have an app on my Android phone that I use and can view my cameras anywhere. I have setup everything myself, all cameras are wired and are connected to the DVR and then the DVR is connected to my home internet router.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.