Concerned after rain

cpeterson70

Gold Supporter
Sep 28, 2015
Carrollton/TX
Our pool was dug last week, steel put in on Saturday. Unfortunately we got more rain Sunday and Monday than expected and walls have collapsed. Before I unleash, I thought I'd post these pictures. I'm concerned. Is this normally the way to fix a collapsed wall? I know very little about construction. I'm working from home today hoping I see more being done so I can ask.

That is not the best way to deal with the wall issue. Its not awful but its not good workmanship. They need to remove the peg board and place dobies (spacers) in so that the guinite fills the entire void. They may need to wire some dobies together to do it and it will take more gunite but that is the contractor's risk. You don't want to shoot gunite when there is standing water or mud. Wet or damp soil is ok mud is not. This needs another day or 2 to dry out. Also you want 2 inches clear below the rebar cage on the floor. They need to add significantly more dobies on the floor.

The pool is enginnered to be constructed in undisturbed soil. A gap behind the wall is not undisturbed soil.

The problem with the boards, as gwegan mentions, is that there will be voids behind the gunite shell. And since those voids are below the surface of the general ground level, the soil there will eventually erode down into the void leaving holes under your decking. Boards are fine when used as a back support for exposed areas, but not below grade.

My husband doesn't think they are done with the collapsed wall. I didn't get a response from my email, but I think he spoke with the project manager and said they still have the pack the wall. He didn't say anything about the boards though. So I don't know. I do know I will not hand over the next check unless I am happy. Maybe I am overreacting?? :roll:

On a happier note, here is our design:

No you are not overreacting. This is pool building. It's different . Just be polite and ask questions. I like the design. It sounds like rough pluming the pool is next. Let's see what it looks like after that.

Yea that's the correct clamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My husband talked to the construction manager today (I never got a reply on Friday). Yes, it is a temporary fix. They wanted to let the water they couldn't pump out evaporate. They are coming back tomorrow morning first thing around 7am (if we do not get storms tonight...should stay north along the Tex/Ok border...fingers crossed). They will remove the boards they have there now, scrape out the wall/loose dirt and place forms. They will double check all the rebar to make sure they are properly set. I feel better. :D

Looks good, don't stress they will scrape down and clean the whole thing very well before plaster. Most any divot or hole including any they may make to tile or put return jets on will get filled with plaster. Water, water, water you almost can't over do it don't worry if you get a couple feet pooling in the deep end.

Our instructions said to wait 24 hours to water and to water twice a day. Is that typical? Construction manager said once a day is fine. I think I will stick to at least twice. High temps are forecasted to be in the lower 70's. How long should they wait to tile...should they wait? He mentioned the tile was being picked up today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.