Problems with Stenner

May 15, 2015
Chandler
I installed a stenner 45MPHP10 last year. I threaded it straight into my line. After the winter (Phoenix), it is now:
1. Leaking bleach out of the plastic piece when it's on
2. When it's not on, it seems that somehow the water from the pool is going back up though the line and into the pump and is leaking out as well.

Thoughts? Help?

6ff4786cb20c74e50d244ab2ed2e3913.jpg
2225e1ddabb41bb7d3e062ca8ed22f60.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are referring to the plastic piece that is held on by the two clips, then I would suspect you have a split in the tube. The tube is the piece in the pump that is pressed by the rollers as the pump turns. If the tube is defective, then it will leak bleach onto the plastic piece on the bottom of the pump which is not fully sealed which then lands on the top of your tank. The tube is a maintenance item that should be replaced on at least a yearly basis. I change mine each six months just for piece of mind.

Yes, thank you. My main concern now is that it's leaking water when the stenner is off & the pool pump is on. Should the water be coming back from the pool pump that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meyers:

More information here than you posted in my thread. Leaking chlorine from the pump housing indicates a split/hole/crack in the pump tube after the first roller. A split/hole/crack in the pump tube before the first roller would result in a pump suction side leak which would prevent pumping chlorine. You need to change out the pump tube.

I concur with Gary300's comment on the water flowing back to the pump if the pump tube has a split/hole/crack after the last roller.

Please watch a "youtube" video specific to your pump model several times before attempting. While it is not difficult, you can damage the new tube if you are not careful.

Also in looking at your photos, the tube in the pump housing obviously has an issue - the tube is not centered in the housing. While the tube will become off centered with time, your tube appears to be near the bottom of the housing and almost off the rollers.

Gary

I agree with the thought that the pump tube is split. But the only thing that concerns me is that the 45MPHP10 is a high pressure pump which comes with a check valve. From the photo it appears that the check valve is in place, but if water is flowing back up the line then it is obviously defective. When you replace the pump tube it should keep the pool water from flowing back to the tank from the pool because of the rollers, but the check valve should also be looked at to see if something has it stuck open or be replaced.

I agree with the thought that the pump tube is split. But the only thing that concerns me is that the 45MPHP10 is a high pressure pump which comes with a check valve. From the photo it appears that the check valve is in place, but if water is flowing back up the line then it is obviously defective. When you replace the pump tube it should keep the pool water from flowing back to the tank from the pool because of the rollers, but the check valve should also be looked at to see if something has it stuck open or be replaced.

Two times I have installed a new check valve without the line attached and both times Some water, not a lot came out of the check valve when the pump was running (3450 RPM). The check valve is actually a flap valve and I do not believe it can seal 100 per cent. I think that the check valve is only really useful if you have a break in the line feeding the check valve to prevent a whole lot of pool water blasting out of the line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.