Site Glass

Feb 26, 2016
Murcia Spain
As I was doing a backwash this morning and noticed there was no flow through the site glass. Pressure was as normal. It does look as though it was flowing on normal filter. As it is the winter here in Spain and the pool cover has been on for a couple of months now, I only do a backwash about once every two to three weeks instead of the normal once a week during the summer.

No drop in the pressure it seems same as it always is on backwash, about 12 to 15. Normally when starting a backwash the site glass shows a "swirl" of water and a bit of grit, then after a few seconds it runs clear. But now it looks clear all the time. Made me think the water is not flowing. Jets, skimmers everything seems OK Do you think there is a problem ?

I'm kind of curious as to why you are backwashing so often? In actuality, a *slightly* dirty sand filter works better than a pristine clean one.

If your water is clean and clear you may just not be seeing the movement within the sight glass.

A simple experiment would be to remove the site glass and turn on backwash for a second.
Perhaps better would be to go the exit point of your backwash and witness the flow as you are backwashing. If that sight glass has any age on it, there is a good chance it may be brittle and crack when you try to remove it. Lastly, you may start an air leak as soon as you start removal of that glass and your pump will un-prime if you allow the filter to drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.