Georgia Pool Build.... FIRED PB need advice please!!!

Things are moving in the right direction. The new builder ordered some parts to downgrade the flow from my slide pump. Hopefully this weekend that will be back in use. And I'm taking a lot of call to pay for the bubbler lights and landscaping! I'm now aiming for it all to be complete next month. If being a mother didn't teach me patience this process surely will!!

I have actually come to love the water color even though it isn't what I asked for.

pool.jpg

And my high anxiety dog officially hates the water! We got a retriever with high hopes that she'd enjoy swimming with us...but, she left me in scratches and was quivering the entire time. She didn't even go outside to use the bathroom until a day after her "swim"!!!

pool e.jpeg

Sorry to hear about all your trials.

I'm not a lawyer, but some info that you might find useful that I learned recently.

Don't know about in Georgia, but in Texas they upped the amount you could sue in small claims court from 5k to 10k a couple years ago. The cost to serve someone is like $70 plus $50 court costs. So, you don't need a lawyer. You just file, show up to court with your contract, and show what expenses had to get done since the builder wouldn't do it (and a detailed account of what happened). If the builder did not uphold some element of his contract (as opposed to just dragging his feet but still following the letter of the contract), you might be able to get awarded some damages. Since you don't need a lawyer, small claims court is kind of nice for this kind of thing.

If his business is going under, you might be able to get some money from him before it's completely out, or maybe not. Perhaps worth a try.

Again, this is how it works in Texas, and I'm not a lawyer. Just recently had to pursue a civil matter.

Sorry to hear about all your trials.

I'm not a lawyer, but some info that you might find useful that I learned recently.

Don't know about in Georgia, but in Texas they upped the amount you could sue in small claims court from 5k to 10k a couple years ago. The cost to serve someone is like $70 plus $50 court costs. So, you don't need a lawyer. You just file, show up to court with your contract, and show what expenses had to get done since the builder wouldn't do it (and a detailed account of what happened). If the builder did not uphold some element of his contract (as opposed to just dragging his feet but still following the letter of the contract), you might be able to get awarded some damages. Since you don't need a lawyer, small claims court is kind of nice for this kind of thing.

If his business is going under, you might be able to get some money from him before it's completely out, or maybe not. Perhaps worth a try.

Again, this is how it works in Texas, and I'm not a lawyer. Just recently had to pursue a civil matter.

Thank you for your kind words and advice. The building inspector has also encouraged me to seek judgement in small claims court. The new builder insists that I report this to the secretary of state. I think that small claims court is something that I need to pursue after this is all over with. I have so many regrets looking back. Once he told me about his financial struggles it should have been a red flag....instead I fronted him more money being impatient, sick of having my job delayed and feeling bad for him. I trust too easily and thought that me helping him would move things along. After fronting him money I also purchased $5k of equipment myself. I was left only owing him a little over $1000. In the end I've had to pay for thousands of dollars for things that I already paid for (pool lights, bubbler lights, equipment hook up, dirt/grading, sod, etc...). Its hard to swallow. Especially when its my own lapse in judgement.

Thank you for your kind words and advice. The building inspector has also encouraged me to seek judgement in small claims court. The new builder insists that I report this to the secretary of state. I think that small claims court is something that I need to pursue after this is all over with. I have so many regrets looking back. Once he told me about his financial struggles it should have been a red flag....instead I fronted him more money being impatient, sick of having my job delayed and feeling bad for him. I trust too easily and thought that me helping him would move things along. After fronting him money I also purchased $5k of equipment myself. I was left only owing him a little over $1000. In the end I've had to pay for thousands of dollars for things that I already paid for (pool lights, bubbler lights, equipment hook up, dirt/grading, sod, etc...). Its hard to swallow. Especially when its my own lapse in judgement.

Don't blame yourself for this. The guy is the one that is to blame.

I had a few situations with renters as a landlord and learned the hard way that some people really suck. I always wanted to believe in the good in people - that nobody would try to take advantage and screw somebody so bad. I've since become hardened in my dealings as a landlord - some of those people can tell the best stories, trying to string me along while rent is late. I don't know that I like being so hardened and lost faith in humanity.

In any case, don't blame yourself for this. At the end of the day, the biggest crime he can commit in this is robbing you of your happiness with your large investment. Your pool time should be sacred with nothing but smiles - so don't ever think about all that when enjoying your pool. In the end, spending an extra few thousand dollars is not worth worrying over. Speaking personally, my pool has been the best investment I ever made in terms of the family enjoyment out of it, and I would have paid double knowing how well it pays off.

Poor doggy LOL Now you are going to have to back up a few steps with her............feed her outside, in sight of the pool. Move the food closer to the pool over time. It might take a couple/few weeks before she relaxes. Next feed her RIGHT beside the pool with NO one in it. Then feed her by the pool with a person quietly in it. Move on to the person swimming and such while she eats.

THEN the jack pot! Find her "I will do back flips for it" yummy. For my dog it is hotdogs! Feed her that from the shelf then start making her reach her head over the shelf. Then have her (on her own!!!!) step onto the shelf one paw at a time. Do not force or rush her. It will take a while but done right she will gladly get on the shelf. She may never be a swimmer but over time she might come to enjoy the water on her own terms.

That water is so pretty!!! LOVE the color!

:kim:

I've been following your build and wanted to jump in here. I totally agree with And5555 and Kim. I wish I had built a pool when my boys were little. What it does for family is amazing. I'd be on our second or remodeled pool by now!!

Kim's slow and easy steps to get your doggy back near the water are perfect. I will add our tips for once you get your fur baby IN the water that helped my granddog, Willie. His first time with a pool was here a year ago. He wanted no part of it - the shaking, planting his paws on the deck, etc. Finally my son, Matt, got Willie in the water by carrying him in. I thought all dogs could swim naturally, but not Willie. He's a bottom sinker (his rear end sinks), and didn't seem to know how to dog paddle even with his front paws. Being stubborn, my son bought Willie a doggie life jacket. That worked wonders. My son had to carry him back into the water and held Willie the entire time (with his jacket on). Willie didn't freak out unless Matt let go of him. From then on, the pool training was much like that with a child, but a little faster and always with his life jacket - holding Willie for many swims; gradually letting go of him, briefly at first, longer with practice; then teaching Willie where the steps are and the deep end bench (literally shoving him from behind towards the steps). Willie's 'back flip treat' is a branch stick which was great for getting him to swim more and more on his own. Once that stick was in the water, nothing could stop Willie.

Willie was just visiting again for the past two months. He remembered the pool and absolutely loves it. Show him his life jacket, and it's like a leash - we can't get it on him fast enough! But after 2 months, Willie is definitely not a 'distance' swimmer! Still, once he's in the water he doesn't want out. He loves to just float in the water - no kidding. When he is swimming towards us, his front paws are wanting to hold onto us which causes lots of scratches. We quickly learned to put our forearm in front of us like a defensive move. He then can put his front paws on our forearm, and we can pull him along all around the pool. That's just primo for Willie. It also does a great job preventing scratches. We call it the 'bird perch' move. As soon as we put out a forearm in front of Willie, he swims right to it and latches on. I still find that I like wearing a long sleeved shirt when I swim with Willie to prevent scratches. If I'm in the deep end, and Willie decides I need saving, the bird perch move doesn't work for me since I can't touch, so the shirt helps then.

Willie also loves to float on a float, especially if you pull him around on it! We kept trying to teach him how to get out of the pool by using the sun shelf. No luck there, but by doing that, Willie discovered he could put his front paws on the shelf and just hang there. He loves doing that, too. One time he stayed in that position for 15 minutes just chillin' and watching the birds and butterflies. Matt tried a few times having Willie swim without his jacket, but that old bottom just sinks. He now paddles great with his front paws, so he looks like he's riding a unicycle if he doesn't have on his jacket! Maybe if he lived here and could swim more, he'd learn to swim without his life jacket. I don't know. His jacket was the trick to make him more comfortable in the water.

Your pool is gorgeous! You've really gone through (and still going through) a nightmare. I can't say how sorry I am you've had to go through this. As And5555 said, don't let any of this steal your joy of the pool. In the end, the money is just that. It's the fun memories you and your family will build that count!
Hoping for many blessings to you and your pool!
Suz

Don't blame yourself for this. The guy is the one that is to blame.

I had a few situations with renters as a landlord and learned the hard way that some people really suck. I always wanted to believe in the good in people - that nobody would try to take advantage and screw somebody so bad. I've since become hardened in my dealings as a landlord - some of those people can tell the best stories, trying to string me along while rent is late. I don't know that I like being so hardened and lost faith in humanity.

In any case, don't blame yourself for this. At the end of the day, the biggest crime he can commit in this is robbing you of your happiness with your large investment. Your pool time should be sacred with nothing but smiles - so don't ever think about all that when enjoying your pool. In the end, spending an extra few thousand dollars is not worth worrying over. Speaking personally, my pool has been the best investment I ever made in terms of the family enjoyment out of it, and I would have paid double knowing how well it pays off.

You're right. And to be honest...it's almost worth the money to have the PB off of our property and not have to worry about him coming over to show the pool in the future. We even have a rule that his name is not to be mentioned when we're in our backyard. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Poor doggy LOL Now you are going to have to back up a few steps with her............feed her outside, in sight of the pool. Move the food closer to the pool over time. It might take a couple/few weeks before she relaxes. Next feed her RIGHT beside the pool with NO one in it. Then feed her by the pool with a person quietly in it. Move on to the person swimming and such while she eats.

THEN the jack pot! Find her "I will do back flips for it" yummy. For my dog it is hotdogs! Feed her that from the shelf then start making her reach her head over the shelf. Then have her (on her own!!!!) step onto the shelf one paw at a time. Do not force or rush her. It will take a while but done right she will gladly get on the shelf. She may never be a swimmer but over time she might come to enjoy the water on her own terms.

That water is so pretty!!! LOVE the color!

:kim:

GREAT IDEA! She loves green beans lol. And the water is really pretty....the shells are amazing.

I've been following your build and wanted to jump in here. I totally agree with And5555 and Kim. I wish I had built a pool when my boys were little. What it does for family is amazing. I'd be on our second or remodeled pool by now!!

Kim's slow and easy steps to get your doggy back near the water are perfect. I will add our tips for once you get your fur baby IN the water that helped my granddog, Willie. His first time with a pool was here a year ago. He wanted no part of it - the shaking, planting his paws on the deck, etc. Finally my son, Matt, got Willie in the water by carrying him in. I thought all dogs could swim naturally, but not Willie. He's a bottom sinker (his rear end sinks), and didn't seem to know how to dog paddle even with his front paws. Being stubborn, my son bought Willie a doggie life jacket. That worked wonders. My son had to carry him back into the water and held Willie the entire time (with his jacket on). Willie didn't freak out unless Matt let go of him. From then on, the pool training was much like that with a child, but a little faster and always with his life jacket - holding Willie for many swims; gradually letting go of him, briefly at first, longer with practice; then teaching Willie where the steps are and the deep end bench (literally shoving him from behind towards the steps). Willie's 'back flip treat' is a branch stick which was great for getting him to swim more and more on his own. Once that stick was in the water, nothing could stop Willie.

Willie was just visiting again for the past two months. He remembered the pool and absolutely loves it. Show him his life jacket, and it's like a leash - we can't get it on him fast enough! But after 2 months, Willie is definitely not a 'distance' swimmer! Still, once he's in the water he doesn't want out. He loves to just float in the water - no kidding. When he is swimming towards us, his front paws are wanting to hold onto us which causes lots of scratches. We quickly learned to put our forearm in front of us like a defensive move. He then can put his front paws on our forearm, and we can pull him along all around the pool. That's just primo for Willie. It also does a great job preventing scratches. We call it the 'bird perch' move. As soon as we put out a forearm in front of Willie, he swims right to it and latches on. I still find that I like wearing a long sleeved shirt when I swim with Willie to prevent scratches. If I'm in the deep end, and Willie decides I need saving, the bird perch move doesn't work for me since I can't touch, so the shirt helps then.

Willie also loves to float on a float, especially if you pull him around on it! We kept trying to teach him how to get out of the pool by using the sun shelf. No luck there, but by doing that, Willie discovered he could put his front paws on the shelf and just hang there. He loves doing that, too. One time he stayed in that position for 15 minutes just chillin' and watching the birds and butterflies. Matt tried a few times having Willie swim without his jacket, but that old bottom just sinks. He now paddles great with his front paws, so he looks like he's riding a unicycle if he doesn't have on his jacket! Maybe if he lived here and could swim more, he'd learn to swim without his life jacket. I don't know. His jacket was the trick to make him more comfortable in the water.

Your pool is gorgeous! You've really gone through (and still going through) a nightmare. I can't say how sorry I am you've had to go through this. As And5555 said, don't let any of this steal your joy of the pool. In the end, the money is just that. It's the fun memories you and your family will build that count!
Hoping for many blessings to you and your pool!
Suz

Ordering a doggy life jacket! Do you have an actually "dog float" or does he use people floats? Willie sounds like a cool dog btw :D

You guys are so right about the money just being money in the end. The pool is worth every penny and in the end I still got a good deal. And the joy it'll bring my family is priceless. Thank you, Suz!

I think your pool is a beautiful color. What color is it again? I don't see it in your signature.

Sheree as for small claims, do it.

You and your family did nothing here, you're the victim not him. As a business owner he knew he was taking you for a ride and he did it knowingly. Your family just wanted a pool to enjoy and to make memories in. It's not in the least your fault.

I would also report him to the Secretary of State, they grant business licenses and his should be revoked. I'd also report him to the BBB. The thing is, if he does it once he's most likely done it before and will do it again. Abusers continue to abuse until there is some serious intervention, even then many start again.

I'm sorry for all your issues. Maybe it's the Marine in me after 10 years, but I would be serving him quickly. It's not right to do that to people and you could be the one that helps put an end to it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think your pool is a beautiful color. What color is it again? I don't see it in your signature.

Sheree as for small claims, do it.

You and your family did nothing here, you're the victim not him. As a business owner he knew he was taking you for a ride and he did it knowingly. Your family just wanted a pool to enjoy and to make memories in. It's not in the least your fault.

I would also report him to the Secretary of State, they grant business licenses and his should be revoked. I'd also report him to the BBB. The thing is, if he does it once he's most likely done it before and will do it again. Abusers continue to abuse until there is some serious intervention, even then many start again.

I'm sorry for all your issues. Maybe it's the Marine in me after 10 years, but I would be serving him quickly. It's not right to do that to people and you could be the one that helps put an end to it.

Brian, thanks for the great advice! The color is Stonescapes aqua blue with shells added. It really is beautiful.

Hi. Be sure they are plugged into a GFCI receptacle. All outside receptacles should be gfci but especially anything in the backyard where the pool is. You can easily tell if you're not sure. They have the test button that you can trip the circuit (same ones in bathrooms). Looks amazing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.