Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slate Sealer

1. Back To Top    #1

Slate Sealer

I have a salt water pool. Can someone please recomend what is the best product to seal the slate coping and the tile at the water line which is also half submerged in the water? Originally the builder used a water based sealer which turned white below water line and flaked off every where else. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

Ryan
    Gunite Pool: saltwater 45,000 gallons, Triton II sand filter, ozenator, 2-2.5 HP Whisperflow Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Slate Sealer

TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Slate Sealer

Quote Originally Posted by everglades26
    ...salt water pool...best product to seal the slate coping and tile at the water line, half submerged in water?.. Original builder used a water based sealer which turned white below water line and flaked off every where else...
    I'm NOT an expert by any means but any sealer, water based or solvent based, is going to turn white below the water line if it isn't 100% dry for 3-7 days. I have to wait for a 5-7 day dry spell to seal my stamped concrete pool deck every year but I don't seal below the water line.
    Last year I had no problem finding the 5-7 day dry time as we were in a drought. This year may be more challenging 8) ...

Can someone else chime in that knows slate and/or rock sealants ?
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!