O/B San Diego Subcontractors question

Feb 25, 2016
Carlsbad, CA
I'm working on an O/B project in San Diego and have gotten quotes from several subs in my area on various facets of the construction. One thing that I have noticed and it really HAS NOT been echoed by the other O/Bs in other areas (like Vegas or AZ) is that getting the bids back seems to take quite a while and also probably wouldn't be returned at all if it wasn't for some amount of pestering.

Two of the shotcrete subs that I spoke to by phone/email never returned bids (even though we discussed their estimators working on them). The electrician/plumber were spoken to by phone, emailed plans etc. and have not responded in 7 days. The plaster/coping/tile subs only responded today (again contacted 7 days ago) after me emailing them asking if they had questions.

Anyway, maybe I'm expecting too much?

One more off-topic question I had was I got a coping quote for cantilevered concrete coping (poured) with a top seal and it came out to $65/linear foot which on my pool would set me back more than the pebble interior. 8k for poured concrete coping can't be right can it?

What I would suggest is that you ask around and try to get a few itemized quotes from people who have had pools constructed. I started out thinking that I would go O/B and started getting prices. I also was working with a consultant pool builder. He basically manages things and has a set of subs he uses, but, it still ends up being O/B, just with a twist. Anyway, I wasn't sold on using him and paying his fee until I realized that my layout/dig/steel was going to be about $1500 more than his guy. The screen enclosure, lowest bid I had was about $3,000 higher than his guy. He basically made up his fee by having negotiated prices with subs.

If you don't have an option like that, I think it would be good to have as much itemized info as you can on other pools in your area so that you can compare the prices and push back on the subs. They should give you the same prices that they give their regulars. You need to convey to them that you will pay immediately and it will be so much easier for them not to have to wait 30+ days for payment. You can also offer up cash payment to some and try to negotiate that way.

Good Luck!

Are you talking to pool subs? If they are busy and you are not a regular customer it can take a while.

All they are pouring is the coping? 8 k is high but it could be reasonable. Get some competitive bids.

Yeah, all they are pouring is the cantilever coping. Maybe I'm asking for the wrong thing but basically I'm looking for cheap coping and my understanding from a cost perspective is:

Inground Pool Coping: Idea and Cost Guide!

All prices should probably add 30% for SD ;)

• Precast concrete = cheapest
  • Poured cantilever = cheap ($6 to $10 per linear foot)
  • Paver = moderate $20 to $25 per linear foot
  • Brick = moderate $25 to $30 per linear foot
  • Tavertine = high $35 to $55 per linear foot

Again, my quote was $65 for 133 linear feet or $8,645 and that's JUST the pour in place cantilever coping with a seal.

I'm trying to get other bids for it at the same time but this sub actually had the best deal on tile for me and my understanding is tile and coping should ideally be the same sub to avoid pointing fingers when things don't go well...

If they are doing tile and coping that may be high but you really can't tell unless you get competitive bids. With just doing coping it is inefficient. Short load of mud. Most of the time is spent either marshaling the parts and equipment and the prep and forming. Labor intensive.

See if you can buy the tile somewhere else. Go to a tile wholesaler and see what they can do for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.