LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was just looking at the boats being shrink wrapped for winter. Can I do that to my above ground pool for winter? I will use the blue food grade barrel instead of pillow. Or is the compression from shrinking too strong for pool?

Interesting thought but I have no idea how they get that stuff to work on something that large. Can it be applied for pool use? I imagine if you get it shrunk on there, the pool would take it.

Anyone around here ever shrink wrap a boat? :)

On boats they apply the film and then use a big, gas heat gun to heat shrink the film. So, there is some control over how much heat is applied and how much tension the film gets. It could be a whole new industry.

I just want to know if it's possible. I do not want to use the pillow because it might lost the air

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

There is why I want to use the blue barrel. Also 32ft x 100ft marine shrink wrap is about $250 this you can cut to 3 pieces so it should last 3 seasons.

I just want to know if it's possible. I do not want to use the pillow because it might lost the air

I haven't used a pillow in several years and never had an issue. My pool freezes solid.

Would you post a pic of a shrink wrapped boat? Sounds interesting to do it for a pool. How would you wrap it around the pool? Wouldn't the ends need to meet or would it stick to the deck? What kind of pool are you referring to - AG or IG?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I see you have an above ground pool so that makes more sense.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just looking at the boats being shrink wrapped for winter. Can I do that to my above ground pool for winter? I will use the blue food grade barrel instead of pillow. Or is the compression from shrinking too strong for pool?
My answer is yes, even before I attempt this on an existing built in pool with embedded anchors already in place. It will be a walk in the park and I can guarantee you it will work. There are no critical downfalls to shrinkwrapping. Knowledge of propane use, even motion sweeps similar to painting a car, the things to start with are good anchoring points. Use good 1/4" nylon rope to set your perimeters. Shrinkwrap will self-glue when heated correctly. Any further questions, contact me. I will have my own questions about filtering aspects of my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.