Anybody recognize these plugs?

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
(I also posted this under "No pool cover.")

I'm all set to open my rapidly-greening pool for the first time by myself. I've figured everything out EXCEPT the two plugs pictured below, beneath the return jet eyeball fittings. They're the same size and material as the eyeball fittings, so I'm thinking that maybe they're used to close off one return for testing the pipes? My system is old and somewhat fragile, so I'm reluctant to fire up the pump without feeling confident that I've replaced everything correctly.

Does anyone recognize these, or have ideas? I promise not to blame anyone if their guess is wrong! :)

Attachments

• fittings plug (Small).jpg
    fittings plug (Small).jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 351
singerteacher said:
Thanks! They weren't used to winterize the pool this winter ... and the ones I took out of the return jets look much newer. I'm thinking that they're the old ones, and the PB put on new ones because these didn't have O-rings. Does that sound plausible?

Yep.

They can also be used on the winter drain in the bottom of your filter or in a "tee" fitting in the lowest pipe going to your multi-port valve. Look close to the ground. They still would need their "O" rings to be useful.

In any case, water pouring out a 1 1/2" threaded hole should be your first clue that one might go there. Prime your pump, keep the heater off, and watch carefully and I doubt you will break anything.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
spishex said:
They don't have to have their o-rings to be useful. In fact, in some situations plugs this size don't even fit all the way down to the lip where the o-ring would be. In those cases these plugs are ideal candidates for teflon tape.

Good point--consider my post amended--I meant as regards the installations for which these plugs were designed. I myself use them elsewhere with tape and the "O" rings are not engaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.