cya "sock"

my green swamp is starting to clean up a bit, it's now kind of a white/light gray swamp. i'm just keeping the bleach coming and hope for the best. anyway, i was reading jasonlion's "turning your swamp into an oasis" article (very informative, by the way). he says to get your cya adjusted, but to not put the stabilizer in the skimmer, cuz you'll lose alot of it because of the backwashing involved with this clean-up process. this makes sence. so here's my question - he says to put the cya in a "sock". are we talking about just a regular ol' sock or is the "sock" in question a term for a special product i'd need to buy at a pool store, or is it just a sock, like i'd get out of the sock drawer in my closet? thanx for the info.

Just a regular old sock is what you need. Dump your CYA in it, knot it, and let it hang in the pool. Also remember that CYA normally takes a good while to dissolve in your pool water. You may notice that it is gone from the sock fairly soon, but don't recheck the CYA level for "official" accuracy until a week has passed.

one more thing concerning cya.... i put the recomended dosage in the sock last night and hung it in front of the skimmer, as i've read to do but then i had an idea. i hung the sock in front of the the return jet, thinking it would dissolve the cya quicker, which it did. the sock was empty in a couple hours. that being the case, i figured this morning when i tested for cya, it should have been up to 40 or 50 beings it was dissolved (it was at 20 before adding), but it tested still at 20. i know i've read that it takes up to a week for the stuff to dissolve, but beings i put it in front of the return and it did all dissolve, shouldn't this mornings test have read higher? maybe this mornings other numbers will help -
water condition- i'm out of the green stage, it now looks "milky"
fc - 5 (i've been stuggling keeping it at shock level, it was at 9 last night, added more bleach this morning)
cc- 2
ph 8.5 (i'll be working on lowering that tonight, as i haven't addressed that issue yet)
cya - 20

so, what do you think? thanx again.

I'm not sure how you measured pH that high.....the tests normally only go to 8.0 or 8.2

If your pH is 8.0 or higher, you need to get it down right now into the mid 7's. Don't delay this.

Secondly, at your current chlorine level, you are tapping on the algae with a wet noodle....hit it with a sledgehammer! You need to get your chlorine up to 15+ and you need to KEEP IT THERE and your pool will clear. Reread the Pool school articles on clearing a pool.

Last, I have had a similar experience with CYA as you're having. I can't explain it but it just seems to take a few days for the CYA to show up on the test....even tho it dissolves much quicker. If your dosage was correct, it'll show up. I know that's frustrating but it will happen. :lol:

duraleigh said:
I'm not sure how you measured pH that high.....the tests normally only go to 8.0 or 8.2

If your pH is 8.0 or higher, you need to get it down right now into the mid 7's. Don't delay this.

Secondly, at your current chlorine level, you are tapping on the algae with a wet noodle....hit it with a sledgehammer! You need to get your chlorine up to 15+ and you need to KEEP IT THERE and your pool will clear. Reread the Pool school articles on clearing a pool.

Last, I have had a similar experience with CYA as you're having. I can't explain it but it just seems to take a few days for the CYA to show up on the test....even tho it dissolves much quicker. If your dosage was correct, it'll show up. I know that's frustrating but it will happen. :lol:

i was just guessing on the ph judging from the shade of purple, it was a little darker than the 8.2 that the test shows, so i just threw a number out there. as for the clorine level, i had it at 20 for a couple of days till the water got out of "green" stage. now that it's in "milky" stage, i didn't know i need to keep it in shock. i will hit it hard agian. i'll wait on testing cya for a couple more days.
my problem seems to be TIME ! i just don't don't have enough time to keep checking my levels every couple hours. i test in the morning before work, add what i need to add and then can't check again till 9 or 10 hours later. then i get back at it when i get back home from work, but then i'm in bed 5 hours later. then on the weekends, i've got a 5600 sq.ft. garden to tend to and 2 acres of grass to mow, as well as working on the pool. any time saving tips or advice on how i can BEST use the little time i have on the pool ?

Try doing an overnight FC loss test. If it says that all the algae is dead you can stop shocking. To do the test, check the FC level after dark and at least an hour after your last chemical addition of the day, then check the FC level again first thing in the morning. If the morning FC level is the same as the previous evening, or really close, then the algae is all dead and you can go back to normal FC levels.

If you are still losing FC overnight, you want to test and adjust the FC level back up to shock level at least twice a day. More than that will speed up the process, but isn't required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.