Pros & Cons of Flagstone Decking?

We have dug our pool and are waiting for the PB to begin the structure and forms for the concrete. We need to choose the decking and are leaning toward flagstone. I have attached (I hope) a flagstone we are considering. I have read that darker flagstone can get too hot. We have a large deck - probably 4500 sf - and lots of grandchildren. We are leaning toward a travertine bullnose coping so it is cooler when you sit on the side of the pool. Questions:
1. Will the deck get too hot to walk on? It is usually in the low 90s in the summer. I have seen warnings about the heat, but if this is an issue, why are there so many pools using flagstone for decking?
2. Will the deck show too much dirt compared to others?
3. I've heard the salt is hard on the sand joints and we were leaning toward a regular chemical setup instead of salt anyway.
4. I don't think this is the kind of flagstone that easily chips.
5. Anything else I'm not thinking of? Any better recommendation?

Sure appreciate everyone's advice!

Our pavers get too hot to walk on with bare feet during the summer. We didn't think about it when we bought the pool, cause it looked so nice, but they really hold the heat. I live in north Florida so I'm sure there is some difference in Tennessee, but thought I would give you my two cents worth.

Attachments

• witch4.jpg
    witch4.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 96
Flagstone gets HOT! We have flagstone coping and paths to the pool. You cannot walk on it with barefeet in july/august. We have rocksalt finished colored concrete pool deck and it is a lot cooler than the flagstone. We can walk on that with barefeet without having to run for shade! Pics in our build thread, link in sig. We also have saltwater and flagstone and there are comments about that too.

That's not a large deck, that's a gargantuan deck. The equivalent of 65' x 75' square! I'd also understand what kind of flagstone it is. You are midway between OK and PA. Because you mention it not being the type to flake, I was thinking maybe it's PA bluestone (also known as flagstone).

Regardless, both are stinkin' hot in the summer. You asked about why people would use it if it's so hot? People make choices all the time that prioritize form over function. Not a bad thing if you knowingly do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.