Should I connect the suction cleaner before or after turning on the pump

appg2

Feb 17, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Hi,

As per my pump manual, the suction cleaner and vacuum plate should be connected only after the pump is primed.
Quote (http://www.astralpool.com.au/sites/...uals/INST 300 Viron EVO Pool & Spa Pump_0.pdf):
Connect cleaner plate and hose to skimmer/wall suction only after all air has been purged from the top ofthe hair and lint pot of your Viron Pump.

I understood cleaner plate means vacuum plate in the above statement and am confused how I can connect a vacuum plate when pool is at prime (high speed). When pool pump is running, I wont be able to place the vacuum plate and lock it in place. The vacuum plate I have looks like this
productimage_624.jpg'

Have I misunderstood what the manual says? Or is there a technique I am missing?

I don't have experience with your specific vacuum plate, but I can say this about my manual vacuuming. It's best that my pump is primed first (pump basket and everything full of water) because once I connect my vacuum line, the seal is never as good (air-tight). Once I start vacuuming, the pump basket level drops slightly because more air is entering from the vacuum process. So perhaps that's what they mean. Run your pump for a few seconds first, bleed-out any air to ensure it's all full of water. Then with pump off, quickly connect your fitting and do your vacuuming? Just a thought. Maybe someone else will reply having that same item.

As per my pump manual, the suction cleaner and vacuum plate should be connected only after the pump is primed.
That is correct but it does not mean the pump is running when you connect the vacuum, only that it is primed. Once a pump is primed (pump basket full of water), you should be able to shut if off without the pump losing prime. If your pump loses prime while off, this means you had an air leak on the suction side of the pump (e.g. pump basket lid).

The common answer I have is to connect the suction cleaner when pump is off. But prior to connecting, have to ensure
1. The hose does not have any air in it
2. The pump basket is primed (or no air in it)

Thanks guys. Small things but i had airlock problem a few times most likely lot of air left in hose and it took several attempts to prime the pump. I will see how I go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.