After shock chlorine very high still.

Blue114

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 25, 2012
Brisbane , Australia
Hi

I had green and black spot algae so needed to SLAM

I've run out of dpd powder (taylors TF100 kit ) so bombed the pool with 20 litres of liquid chlorine for 2 days then 10 litres a day for 5 days. Algae is gone now hopefully. Cant do an overnight loss test.

Have had no chlorine in the pool for 3 days and SWG is turned off. The filter is still running.

I've used the drop chlorine test and it is a dark brown colour and I can still smell strong chlorine on my hands when feeling the water.

CYA is only reading at about 35 . Usually at 75 to 80

I was reading that the tests aren't that accurate at high chlorine rates.

We are having long hot days here at the moment so is my best option to stop any tests and let the sun bring down the FC . Should I bring up the CYA levels yet or will that make the FC take longer to dissipate?

Can I do my other tests yet ?

Thanks
brad

Hi Blue114

It's pretty hard to see how things are without good test results. You should get some more DPD powder, otherwise your driving blind. The other thing is that your FC loss is percentage based and with some serious heat and temperatures, and assuming a relatively low CYA of 30ish, you'll be losing that extra chlorine you've added fairly quickly.

Check out these guys- http://clearchoicelabs.com.au who are just down the road and will have the DPP powder that you need. Hopefully you won't need to wait that long!

I would seriously wait to get a firm FC reading using the FAS DPD method before adding any CYA to make sure you are completely algae free. You really need to ensure you have satisfied the 3 criteria for completion of a SLAM.

The pH test will read high over FC of 10 but I wouldn't worry too much about your other parameters until you can establish what is going on with your FC.

Brad, I found this from another post:
The OTO chlorine test turns a particularly vivid yellow when the TC level is between 5 and 15, light orange is between 10 and 20, dark orange is between 15 and 30, and brown is 30 or higher.
So yes, I'd let that FC sink (with the sun's help) until it's back down to Earth .... or Australia. :) As Jezza suggested, see if you can get that powder and pick-up accurate testing where you left off. In the meantime, stay out to the water unless you are washing whites. :)

As Jezza noted, don't bother testing pH while your FC is that high either. It won't read correctly. If you have questions later, give us a shout. Have a nice day.

Hi

I had green and black spot algae so needed to SLAM

I've run out of dpd powder (taylors TF100 kit ) so bombed the pool with 20 litres of liquid chlorine for 2 days then 10 litres a day for 5 days. Algae is gone now hopefully. Cant do an overnight loss test.

Have had no chlorine in the pool for 3 days and SWG is turned off. The filter is still running.

I've used the drop chlorine test and it is a dark brown colour and I can still smell strong chlorine on my hands when feeling the water.

CYA is only reading at about 35 . Usually at 75 to 80

I was reading that the tests aren't that accurate at high chlorine rates.

We are having long hot days here at the moment so is my best option to stop any tests and let the sun bring down the FC . Should I bring up the CYA levels yet or will that make the FC take longer to dissipate?

Can I do my other tests yet ?

Thanks
brad
The CYA test is not affected by FC, so there is no reason it should read that low. There are three possibilities:

Testing error when you got the 70 result
Testing error when you got the 35 result
Water replacement has reduced your CYA (this would require that about half the pool water be replaced)

I would conduct the CYA test again. Once you get the 50/50 solution mixed you can pour it back and forth between the mixing bottle and the test tube to get a good number you can be confident of.

On a side note, there are no "5" reading with the CYA test. The scale on the tube is logarithmic, not linear - so half way between two numbers is not a "5" result. Just always round up to the next number displayed on the tube.

In your conditions the FC will be dropping each day.

Thanks guys.

Is the DPD powder from clearchoicelabs usable with the Taylors kits?

Also I have been using the same reagents for a few years. Do they have a use by date?
Reagents do go bad. If kept in a cool dry location you can get a couple of years out of them. After that you may be pushing your luck.

I'm not sure about the powder being interchangeable.

I have never personally used the dpd powder from Clearchoice.

Like Patrick_b, I suspect it will work just fine.

It sounds like you are "peicemealing" your tests with old reagents, missing some, etc. I encourage you to renew your efforts to get all your testing stuff in order. Accurate testing is the backbone of what we teach at TFP

Thanks again. tested this arvo and still reading brown in the drop test. Must be a lot of chlorine in there as it's been hot and sunny every day and it doesn't seem to be making a difference

CYA is between 30 and 40 still.

Oh well, at least I'm giving any leftover algae a good hit. I'm currently ordering new testing kit.

Should I think about after shock chlorine reducer. Have read some mixed reports on TFP

Brad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMO I would wait for the FC to drop on its own.
I agree, just wait.

This is very unscientific but may help:
On the OTO (yellow) chlorine test:

Blinding tweety-bird yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange.

But, are School Busses yellow down under?

But, are School Busses yellow down under?

Haha, some are, if a shade of yellow is the colour scheme of the company that runs them. :) My family from here thought the good old bright yellow Bluebird school buses over there were cute, and I miss seeing them!

And 'pumpkin' means 'squash' down here. Your pumpkin is known as an orange pumpkin. But no worries, 'strayans will get yas :)

If school buses aren't yellow down under, then substitute Caterpillar Equipment yellow. I'm pretty sure they have that.
6005-fabric.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.