Anyone own Radiant Metric Pool or have thoughts?

There have been a few radiant installs on the forum. Run a search and you should pull up a handful of Radiant pools.

Hi Tbay, i have one. Ive got the 16/27 free form. I installed it myself last summer (well with help of course). Because my yard has a decent grade to it I was unable to get it all the way in ground - I probably could have buried the one side completely but the other would have been out around 12-18". I ended up leaving between 8-12" out on one side and 20-24" on the other. If there is one regret it would have to be getting the next size up. Actually, the next size up in oval instead of the freeform. The freeform looks great but the oval would have utilized my space better. I did not go with a deep end. The fiberglass steps are an option and if you go fully inground I would seriously consider them - I found out after you cant add them once your pool is ordered (maybe this has changed). Even though I went semi inground, it is still completely buried (built up around pool with retaining wall) and those steps would have been a nice option. I missed getting the free LED light deal by about 2 weeks - if they are running that again this year you should jump on it. The reason I am on TFP today is I am trying to figure out what lighting options I have aside from the $7-800 light Radiant offers. The build quality is top notch. Once the pool is up (no water in it) you can just feel how solid it is. In a previous home I had done another brand of semi-inground and its an apples to iron beam comparison - the panels are rock solid. All that said, considering I did everything except digging and electrical, I still spent as much as I would have if I went with a similar sized oval inground. So far my taxes here in Northern NJ have not gone up so if that stays true (knock on wood) I will come out on top in the end. Here is some additional advice, this will be important for a PB install or a self install: Concrete - dont skimp on it. I went all the way around the pool. I cannot remember if I went 8 or 12" wide but after talking with 3 different dealers I had 3 different recommendations. The pressure plates that connect to the walls are very sharp. I used 2 layers of foam padding under the liner even though I had plenty of sand to cover every spot (my pool called for 3 or 4 yds, i used 5). Some guys want to use pool krete, 2 of the 3 told me to use sand - the instructions call for sand. Costs less and if you have the right amount of concrete around the pool and use the proper aggregate to drain, the water will have little chance to wash away the sand (one Pool dealer told me I had to use pool crete for that reason - this was also the same guy that told me I only had to concrete over the drift pins and trench area - he was also the same guy who wouldn't tell me how much the actual pool cost - needless to say I didn't buy it from him). I used tons of gravel as backfill. I think it was either 3/8 or 5/8ths crushed stone. Dirt around here compacts pretty well but my concern was more along the lines of drainage given the grade of my property. If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

TBAY, I am on this same quest. I've been looking at some pool options for my wife. I can't see dropping a huge chunk of money in the ground and these pools seem like a good option. Casey, thanks for the advice (and the nice profile pic) I have done searches and as you stated, already came across a thread in 2014 and 2015. I'm glad this one is going now as well and that people like MMM923 and doc8404 are taking the time to add there "post" install thoughts back in the threads, it means tons.

Hopefully a few more people will add some input. I would also like to get opinions / places where people are buying the pools. I plan on doing most of the work myself, short of the excavation. I have a slightly larger grade to the back yard than MMM923 does, going level on one side I'll be out about 3' on the other end (presuming I go with one of the two largest oval models).

We have a Radiant Metric oval installed fully above ground. We love our pool; no issues after install. We highly recommend it. See link in our signature for pics.

Last edited:
We have just received our new 16x27 freeform pool here, well most of it. FedEx dropped the skid and several items are gonna have to be resent. Does anyone know if the 16x27 comes with a lawn template? That would make the layout a lot easier. we also elected to go with the inground steps. Our yard is on a decent slope, so one side will be completely submerged. Got the hole dug this weekend.

Our Radiant was our second pool... and fourth or fifth pool build. Only one way to get experience, you know? Our 21 footer didn't come with a template, but that's the beauty of a round pool: two sticks and some string is your template.

We're in our second season with it and I would wholeheartedly recommend one. My only regret is that we didn't do foam padding under the bottom. Everything is solid, square, sturdy and beautiful, but the bottom is bumpy? Someday the liner's going to need replacing and we're going to have to fix that.

. . . My only regret is that we didn't do foam padding under the bottom. Everything is solid, square, sturdy and beautiful, but the bottom is bumpy? Someday the liner's going to need replacing and we're going to have to fix that.

x2 . . . we used uncut sheets of Styrofoam, and filled in the rounded edges with vermiculite. Edges are bumpy, and transitions between materials is super obvious. During liner replacement (hopefully many years from now), we will cut Styrofoam to fit the entire bottom!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi there, new to the group. I'm really considering a radiant semi in ground oval with the 7' hopper. Anybody with one of these? I'm pricing it against a doughboy. I can get a 16-32 doughboy for the same price as a 16-28 radiant. Thoughts?

Hi! I'm a new member too. I'm hoping to install a 32X16 radiant oval fully ig in the early spring. My local radiant dealer only installs two pools...the radiant and the doughboy. My wife and I looked at both pools up and running at his store. Nothing against dough boy here, but when I saw them side by side, the difference is staggering. The radiant' walls are solid as a rock. If someone were to kick off the walls of the doughboy they would flex, opposed to a solid wall that doesn't move on the radiant. All without any support posts.
My quandry is going fully ig with all the concrete work I'm almost at 30 grand and I wonder if I should look into a fg insert pool. I've been trolling tfp looking at radiant installs and I'm leaning that way. Going to try to pm some owners for tips. Anyway, hope that helps!

Hi! I'm a new member too. I'm hoping to install a 32X16 radiant oval fully ig in the early spring. My local radiant dealer only installs two pools...the radiant and the doughboy. My wife and I looked at both pools up and running at his store. Nothing against dough boy here, but when I saw them side by side, the difference is staggering. The radiant' walls are solid as a rock. If someone were to kick off the walls of the doughboy they would flex, opposed to a solid wall that doesn't move on the radiant. All without any support posts.
My quandry is going fully ig with all the concrete work I'm almost at 30 grand and I wonder if I should look into a fg insert pool. I've been trolling tfp looking at radiant installs and I'm leaning that way. Going to try to pm some owners for tips. Anyway, hope that helps!

Thanks,
I'm close to that price as well with the hopper installed. I've been doing research for a few months now and only came across 1 negative review stating ice damage and radiant didn't warranty liner or something.

Yea, I saw those pics as well. It made me wonder why the damage was 2 foot from the bottom. Wouldn't ice damage be at the top as it would freeze from the top down? That poster was also an installer and it made me suspicious that he could possibly be just bad mouthing his competition. Again, mostly because like you said...the only bad review out there.
I'm not a fan of the white steps. I wish they made them in blue to match the pool!
All in all seems like a great product... But I'm still trolling tfp looking at installs and making sure it's the right decesion for us.

Yea, I saw those pics as well. It made me wonder why the damage was 2 foot from the bottom. Wouldn't ice damage be at the top as it would freeze from the top down? That poster was also an installer and it made me suspicious that he could possibly be just bad mouthing his competition. Again, mostly because like you said...the only bad review out there.
I'm not a fan of the white steps. I wish they made them in blue to match the pool!
All in all seems like a great product... But I'm still trolling tfp looking at installs and making sure it's the right decesion for us.

Yup those were them. I did notice he was an installer as well but like we said it was the only negative thing I've seen. I'll end up installing a radiant as it appears to be a quality product. No to decide size...

Hi guys. I am looking at a radiant Metric 16x32 with walk in stairs and a deep end. I have a spot in my yard that is relatively flat and would like to bury in ground.
What do you think Im looking at price wise--ballpark figure ? I have a HUGE property to work with. (2 acres). I thought this would be in the neighborhood of 10-15k .

I have an 18 foot Radiant Metric pool. I put it in the ground about 4 feet deep 5 years ago. After digging the hole I poured a 4" slab in the bottom of the hole and installed the pool on that slab. I sprayed foam along the bottom edge/gap on the inside and outside of the pool walls hoping to minimize the dirt, water and tree roots from wandering in.
I plumbed it like an in ground pool with a DE filter and 2 return jets. I added 2 LED lights, one multi color and one white.
I put foam coping along the inside edge and a gorilla pad on the cement to comfort the liner.
We have been very happy with the pool but have developed a leak over the past year. After quite a bit of mask time on the bottom I am unable to locate a leak in the liner. It may be be in the plumbing but just not sure. I figured I'd pull the liner and replace it since it's 5 years old and start there.
As I removed the liner I found that there was quite a bit of water outside the liner. Well over an inch. Also noticed that several of the panels had corroded along the bottom edge and a few had the inside wall separated from the foam showing a buckle in the inside wall. I don't know if this buckling was from the corrosion and separation of at the bottom of the wall panel or from a leak in a jet or light fixture pass through that leaked water down the inside of the wall panel.
In addition to the corrosion and delamination of the wall, the paint on the inside wall of the pool was all blistered and coming off from the bottom all the way to the top of the walls.
With a lifetime warranty I figured I'd share this with Radiant Pools. Dropped them a note a few pictures. The Customer Service Manager replied that he saw a few things in my pictures that were inconsistent with their installation instructions. They advised it wasn't a warranty issue and sent me a copy of the installation instructions. The instructions are pretty clear on leaving drainage around the bottom of the pool but this leads me to wonder how they can recommend an in-ground installation and still expect drainage. I guess they don't have Texas soil up there. He offered to sell me replacement panels at a reduced rate and it was a fair price.
It would be a nightmare to dig up and replace panels. I'm also pretty sure the splines that join the walls would not ever come out to separate the walls and after a few years I would be back in the same boat.
Plan A was to line the walls with a foam pad all around to stop any rough edges on the wall from cutting a new liner, place new bottom edge foam coping, replace the gorilla pad and install a new liner.

I think I am going with plan B. I found a pool company that resurfaces pools with chopped fiberglass spray on resin. Then gel coats it. They have done work on vinyl pools before. I figure the Radiant walls are a perfect candidate for this treatment. Cost will be a little under $4,000.00 and can be completed in a few days, as soon as my turn in the summer queue comes around. That makes $5,000 for the initial pool investment and $4,000 for the fiberglass. Fairly expensive but it will give me a nearly permanent in-ground pool I hope.
I have used other, cheaper above ground pools in the past and would never buy anything but a Radiant Pool. A quality build that may last a long, long time if installed properly, and above ground.

Attachments

• 20140914_152615 small.jpg
    20140914_152615 small.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0057 small.jpg
    IMG_0057 small.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I have an 18 foot Radiant Metric pool. I put it in the ground about 4 feet deep 5 years ago. After digging the hole I poured a 4" slab in the bottom of the hole and installed the pool on that slab. I sprayed foam along the bottom edge/gap on the inside and outside of the pool walls hoping to minimize the dirt, water and tree roots from wandering in.
I plumbed it like an in ground pool with a DE filter and 2 return jets. I added 2 LED lights, one multi color and one white.
I put foam coping along the inside edge and a gorilla pad on the cement to comfort the liner.
We have been very happy with the pool but have developed a leak over the past year. After quite a bit of mask time on the bottom I am unable to locate a leak in the liner. It may be be in the plumbing but just not sure. I figured I'd pull the liner and replace it since it's 5 years old and start there.
As I removed the liner I found that there was quite a bit of water outside the liner. Well over an inch. Also noticed that several of the panels had corroded along the bottom edge and a few had the inside wall separated from the foam showing a buckle in the inside wall. I don't know if this buckling was from the corrosion and separation of at the bottom of the wall panel or from a leak in a jet or light fixture pass through that leaked water down the inside of the wall panel.
In addition to the corrosion and delamination of the wall, the paint on the inside wall of the pool was all blistered and coming off from the bottom all the way to the top of the walls.
With a lifetime warranty I figured I'd share this with Radiant Pools. Dropped them a note a few pictures. The Customer Service Manager replied that he saw a few things in my pictures that were inconsistent with their installation instructions. They advised it wasn't a warranty issue and sent me a copy of the installation instructions. The instructions are pretty clear on leaving drainage around the bottom of the pool but this leads me to wonder how they can recommend an in-ground installation and still expect drainage. I guess they don't have Texas soil up there. He offered to sell me replacement panels at a reduced rate and it was a fair price.
It would be a nightmare to dig up and replace panels. I'm also pretty sure the splines that join the walls would not ever come out to separate the walls and after a few years I would be back in the same boat.
Plan A was to line the walls with a foam pad all around to stop any rough edges on the wall from cutting a new liner, place new bottom edge foam coping, replace the gorilla pad and install a new liner.

I think I am going with plan B. I found a pool company that resurfaces pools with chopped fiberglass spray on resin. Then gel coats it. They have done work on vinyl pools before. I figure the Radiant walls are a perfect candidate for this treatment. Cost will be a little under $4,000.00 and can be completed in a few days, as soon as my turn in the summer queue comes around. That makes $5,000 for the initial pool investment and $4,000 for the fiberglass. Fairly expensive but it will give me a nearly permanent in-ground pool I hope.
I have used other, cheaper above ground pools in the past and would never buy anything but a Radiant Pool. A quality build that may last a long, long time if installed properly, and above ground.

I need to replace our 36 year old 16'x40' Doughboy pool (with deep end) and was looking at Radiant as another option. I prefer a 12x40 rectangle instead of an oval since I would like to also add an automatic pool cover with a track under the coping. After talking to Radiant I learned that I could buy a custom size rectangle but that their top coping cannot be used with an auto cover.
Based on your experience as well as my own, if I didn't want the auto cover I would hands down buy another Doughboy instead! Our first liner lasted 16 years and our second liner lasted 20 years. Doughboy makes a great pool and they have a reputation for high quality liners.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.