Salt to soften water in NON-SWG pool?

Jul 21, 2015
Tempe, Az
I switched the lagoon over to liquid chlorine after the flush & refill - but, Can I throw some plain old water softener salt in to help soften the water a bit?

I found something online saying it was OK to just toss some in, but I don't know what level I would be aiming for, since I'm still using Chlorine to control the algae?

Yes, you can. I would start with around 1,000ppm (use Pool Math to figure how much to add) and see how that feels. You can always add more. Most SWCG require salt in the area of 3,000 ppmas a reference.

Here is an old post ont he subject
JasonLion said:
The best thing to use to raise the salt level is water softener salt. Look for salt that is 99.4% pure or better and doesn't have any rust inhibitor or other additives. The best choices include Diamond Crystal Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton White Crystal Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal Sun Gems Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags.

Water softener salt pellets will also work, even though they dissolve more slowly they are still fine. Pool salt is also fine to use, but tends to be much more expensive. Potassium chloride will also work, but you need 17% more of it and it is more expensive. Avoid table salt, rock salt, and deicing salt.

Just note that, when you add salt, the color of the water will change ever-so-slightly. It'll take on a very slightly green-blue shade. It's very subtle, but if you have a good camera and can get the lighting and position right, you can definitely see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

TFTestkits.net has some. But, you don't really need them the ppm isn't going to be important. Add 1000ppm according to Poolmath and see if you can tell. If not, then add another 1000 ppm. My pool has about 3400ppm. +/-500 ppm.

Thanks again.

Eeek...it wants me to add 400 lbs of salt to get to 2000ppm. (based on 2 year old water quality report sodium levels...) althought that's only $20 LOL

I did go ahead and dump in 2x40# bags. For those that are wondering, I bought the Mortons non-additive water softener pellets, I think they where $4.50 a bag. Took about an hour for the pellets to completely dissolve. Roughly I should be around 500ppm according to the calc.

I'm going to let the water mix a bit overnight, but first impressions is I can "taste" the salt, but that's at the surface. I'll see if I can source some salinity test strips locally tomorrow.

I like the salt and borates in my pool, definitely feels great. I also do epsom salts in the hot tub and I put some dead sea salts in both of them a while back. I can taste the salt in my pool for sure. Nothing like ocean water but it is there in the background.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just note that, when you add salt, the color of the water will change ever-so-slightly. It'll take on a very slightly green-blue shade. It's very subtle, but if you have a good camera and can get the lighting and position right, you can definitely see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Is this true of SWG pools as well? Does the SWG effect the water color and give it a greener hue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.