pH bounce...new startup

Jan 26, 2015
marco island, fl
Just plastered with mini pebble. Filled 2 days ago and just added some acid. pH shows at least 8. CH is 90. ALK is 110. When performing the acid demand test, one drop will send the test sample down below 7. I've never seen this before in a stable pool. I'm running the filter and brushing twice daily. Pool contractor added some chlorine...I believe it's at about 3. I've never re-done a pool before so I don't know if I should be chasing pH or let it go for a few days at a time.

pH should always be watched, so it's good you are keeping a close eye on it. Here's a good reference for new plaster: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster. But we always emphasize to follow what your builder/contractor recommends so that you don't void any work on their end. Once they give you the green light to manage on your own, it's TFP all the way.

Much of the advice (chemically) provided by builders leaves us scratching our heads. :confused: You would think they should know some of this - even the basics, but it's clear many don't. Nonetheless, make sure you follow their warranty recommendations. If you feel strongly about something (i.e. high pH or low FC) and wish to discuss it with them, by all means do that. Don't throw TFP in their face because many of them get defensive right away, but be armed with the knowledge you've learned here to ask the right questions so you can make the best decision for your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.