SWCG or Stenner

Feb 11, 2016
PROSPER/TX
Am building a pool and am still up in the air on sanitizers. This forum has taught me that tab systems are the least desirable. I really want a SWCG but am SUPER spooked about the damage to my coping and decking from the salt. Yes, sealing the stone is an option. I raised the issue of a liquid chlorine system and Stenner pump with the pool company and the saleswoman had no helpful information. They all seem to push tab chlorine systems in this part of Texas (DFW). This is very disturbing because it looks like if I want a Stenner system I will have to tell them what I need since they are not being very helpful or they simply don't know. The pool will be inground with attached spa totaling 18,000+ gallons. All direct sunlight for majority of the day. Can someone provide me some info as to what I need for a liquid chlorine system?

I personally believe that most salt damage horror stories are way over blown. My daughter has a pool with flagstone coping. The coping was put in before we converted over to a salt water system. You can look at individual stones and see differences in their structure. Some of the stones appear to have thin layers that flake off over time. Again, this was "Before Salt"... After a year of using the SWG I can see virtually no difference in the stones. The pieces that had flaking, have the same flaking as before. The pieces that had no flaking, still have no flaking. I think it has a lot more to do with the quality of the stone being used than it has to do with salt or no salt.

But.. if I only had two choices... Salt system or Coping... I'd take the Salt system first and the coping second. I believe that the ease of maintenance using a SWG outweighs the visual appearance of whatever coping I could have.

Jim R.

I am a rebel with salt and unsealed flagstone. Almost 4 years and no regrets. I have similar findings to Jim. More info about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.

I think one of the things to keep in mind when deciding between the Stenner and a SWG is where to get bulk Chlorine. I believe in Florida, where Mike lives, you can buy 12% chlorine in bulk in reusable containers.

Here in Texas, I have been unable to find a source that will supply bulk chlorine, so that means you are forced to buy regular 8.25% bleach at Walmart, home centers, or grocery stores.

Jim R.

Here in Texas, I have been unable to find a source that will supply bulk chlorine, so that means you are forced to buy regular 8.25% bleach at Walmart, home centers, or grocery stores.

Jim R.
Jim, not to derail the conversation, but HASA is the go to company in/around TX for bulk chlorine. They sell through retailers like pool stores. Here is what they show near Bedford Bedford.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Now, back to the original question. HASA shows this as the nearest dealer to Prosper

View attachment 45268

In texas, you can also get 10% liquid chlorine at big box stores and pool stores. I don't know about prices because I use 8.25% bleach from Kroger in my hot tub and to supplement the swg in the pool. I buy it when it is on sale.

Up until a couple years ago liquid chlorine was impossible to find in North Texas. I have a custom setup I've been using for a while that I'm about to redo. I get bulk chlorine like jim5055 posted above from 1stop pool in Plano @ Custer and Spring Creek. With the exception of one lady that may not even work there anymore they are all good folks. It may be worth stopping in to talk to them about what you want to do. They've helped me out getting odd parts before, and will match or at least come close to matching internet prices and give you tips on how to fix things and best of all won't give you flack about using BBB.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would vote salt. Less lugging, less hassle. If it comes down to cost though, initially the salt system and salt runs much more then the Stenner solution. I think the salt system takes less maintenance as well, you do have to dial both in and monitor regularly for seasonal/usage/weather changes to maintain proper levels. While not a fire and forget solution, they both sure make you feel better leaving the pool for a week or two on vacation.

The other advantage to salt, is if a luddite asks how you are maintaining your pool, and you answer salt, they inveritably say "good, I hate chlorine pools." I always get a kick out of someone making a bit of a fool out of themselves :)

Up until a couple years ago liquid chlorine was impossible to find in North Texas. I have a custom setup I've been using for a while that I'm about to redo. I get bulk chlorine like jim5055 posted above from 1stop pool in Plano @ Custer and Spring Creek. With the exception of one lady that may not even work there anymore they are all good folks. It may be worth stopping in to talk to them about what you want to do. They've helped me out getting odd parts before, and will match or at least come close to matching internet prices and give you tips on how to fix things and best of all won't give you flack about using BBB.

I was excited about this until I ran the numbers, unless my math is off this looks to be higher cost for chlorine than store bleach. Here are the numbers I used Pool store $20 for 4 gallons of 12.5% vs Walmart at $2.94 for 121 oz of 8.25%. Looks like an oz of pure chlorine from the pool store is 31 cents vs 29 cents from Walmart.

I was excited about this until I ran the numbers, unless my math is off this looks to be higher cost for chlorine than store bleach. Here are the numbers I used Pool store $20 for 4 gallons of 12.5% vs Walmart at $2.94 for 121 oz of 8.25%. Looks like an oz of pure chlorine from the pool store is 31 cents vs 29 cents from Walmart.
That is many times the case. If you have Dollar General in the area their bleach is even a little less expensive than WalMart. Plus, you have the added benefit of a smaller store and not dealing with the lines at WalMart.

For me it is worth the price difference. Pool store guys will carry it out to my truck, I don't have to carry as much in to the back yard, I can store more in my storage drum, my recycle bin doesn't get filled up with empty bleach bottles, pool store is closer to the house than Walmart. I'm not a fan of Walmart and would rather give my money to a local business. But yes, I'm fortunate that they are only about a mile from the house. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.