hydrogen peroxide vs monopersulfate as an oxidizer

It depends on what you are doing overall, but H2O2 will react and consume Chlorine, and MPS will not, however MPS will falsely show as CC on the DPD and FAS-DPD Chlorine test unless you use a special add on test interference remover. But before we get into that too far, let me ask how are you maintaining your pool, and why do you think you need a supplemental oxidizer? I too have an indoor pool, and rarely need supplemental oxidation, to the point that while I bought an Ozone generator for the pool a few years ago I have never bothered hooking it up, as I find that by following TFP methods I only run into a need for supplemental oxidation once or twice per year after large swim parties, and then I just use MPS.

Ike

p.s. I do note you keep your water about 5-6 degrees warmer than I keep mine

Both are oxidizers. Hydrogen peroxide is typically only used in conjuction with a biguanide sanitation system. Alone, hydrogen peroxide breaks down pretty quickly in pool water.

Monopersulfate is a very good oxidizer as well and can be used in conjuction with a chlorine or bromine system to oxidize bather waste, break down combined chlorines or reactivate bromide to bromine.

Hydrogen peroxide cannot be a sanitizer on its own. Simply an oxidizer that is actually best used when FC levels are too high and immediate FC reduction is necessary.

MPS is useful, but in many cases, simply using chlorine (liquid bleach) is cheaper and just as effective, assuming CYA levels are not far too high.

thanks guys, good info. My main concern, as you noted, was that I had read MPS will falsely show as CC on the DPD and FAS-DPD Chlorine test. Does Hydrogen Peroxide give the same type of false reading?

Taylor sells a total oxidizer test kit that lets you measure the MPS levels and corrects for the interferences on the DPD-FAS test. The K-1520 works with the DPD-only test kits (K-1004 & K-1005) to remove the MPS interference and costs about $25. The K-1518 is a DPD-FAS chlorine test that includes the reagents necessary to test for the MPS level as well. That kit costs ~ $82.

H2O2 in a chlorinated pool will not last long enough to interfere with the chlorine test unless you add enough to consume all of your available FC.

I believe this point needs repeating: hydrogen peroxide is a chlorine neutralizer. In a chlorine pool it will do nothing but lower your FC level, no oxidation at all. You cannot use hydrogen peroxide as a supplimental oxidizer in a chlorine pool.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.