Need advice on AGP heater install and selection

MJF54

In The Industry
Jul 5, 2014
Southeast, WI
We are considering a NG pool heater for a 15' round ~6000 gal AGP in Southeast WI. The yard gets full sun morning and late afternoon but is mostly blocked by trees the rest of the day. We use a solar cover on the pool daily. Last summer was my first full summer and we didn't get warm enough (75) to swim until almost July, then we were done by late August.

I would like to add a heater to extend our season, but am trying to be economical. We would most likely only use the heater to bump temps for weekends, preferably beginning around Memorial Day. (last year about 58-60 at that time).

I am comfortable with installing the gas piping and electrical, it is about 20- 25 feet from my meter to the heater location and I would bury black pipe. The run would have 2 - 90 degree bends, one each at the entry and exit of the trench and a couple more to get off of the meter location into the trench.

My questions are:
1 What size BTU heater will I be able to accommodate with 3/4 inch pipe?

2 Do I need more than a 100 - 150k BTU unit if I just want to warm up for weekends? I'm ok with a larger unit if my gas line will support it without the muss and fuss of the gas company upgrades.

3 I'm leaning towards Raypack, that seems to be the preferred brand here. Raypak Residential Pool /Spa Heaters - Above Ground Pool/Spa Heater - 156A

4 My pump will handle the flow required, I need to deliver 20 gpm to the unit.

Any and all input is most appreciated,
Thanks,
Mike

I like Raypak. That model would take about .3 hours to raise temperature 1 degree F in your pool. It also states a 1/2" gas connection, but you are suposed to check the pressure with a manometer. 20gpm is the minimun water flow recomended, any less(like your filter is dirty) the pressure switch will prevent the heater from working. From what people advize here with heaters bigger is better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.