Hello all from a newbie, JohnnyK in sunny but cool Sanford Florida

Feb 21, 2016
Sanford/FL
Hello all from sunny but cool Florida! The pool temp is 65 degrees even with the sunshine.

I found this forum while searching the web for manuals for the pool equipment installed at our rental house pool system. I had a pool once before and knew enough to make sure the rental agreement pool clause included getting the water correct before I took over on move-in day. The owner allowed me to pick the pool maintenance company and Sandy at Mid Florida Pools did a great job getting the water correct. Now I'm working on the equipment. The owner said no on covering the heater but he did authorize the repair of the filter and valves that were not working right as well as getting the water correct. Today, I discovered why I could not find a light switch like at my first pool, this one has a fiber optic system and I enjoyed learning about it but it still doesn't work. That task is for tomorrow. The heater is a gas model but there is no tank to test it. The heater model number has faded off the tag. More research needed there before attempting a fix. The last part of the puzzle is understanding the crazy valve set up and water flow. Only the spa and skimmer pipes are labeled! I'm thinking of finding the original pool builder through the county permits office because the current owner did not build this house and knows nothing about the pool. If I find that company, they may be able to explain it.

I spent some time looking around this site and it is full of wonderful information and forum strings for just about everything to do with a pool. I'm looking forward to getting started!

Another FL person!

You have done a good job so far. The pool will look even better after you get everything figured out.

Post a picture of your pool and equipment pad over at "just getting started" and we can help you figure everything out.

Kim

I use a private label Pinch-A-Penny Basic 5 Test Kit which has agents from Pool Master, Inc in it. I'll be using the store for a monthly test by their in-store tester. They had several test kits on the shelf but the clerk did not know the differences so I took the basic like I used years ago just to get started. This private label kit was $18 and their most expensive was $70. I'll spend some time here and learn more before the summer season and the family starts using the pool. We rented the house with the pool because our granddaughter will be learning to swim this year. I'll want the pool nice and clean for her. I have the first professional report here somewhere and I'll post it soon.

Once I learn how to use this forum better, I'll upload photos, etc.

How do I upload photos that are on my phone camera or is it easier to transfer to a PC and then work on this forum? My iPad is slightly difficult to type here now as I do this.

Have you tried linking your photos from Photobucket? That's what many of us do here on TFP. Upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

As for testing, be careful. The pool store will more than likely steer you off course. The TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 is really your best bet. Have a great day!

Johnny, That is so neat you rented a pool for your G-daughter! WOW!

Now for the testing...........Look in my siggy for the best kit. This is the one we use and love. It used Taylor regents BUT it is packaged with the ones we use the most having more.

PLEASE do NOT allow the pool store to test your water. Pretty please. We have found they can do more harm than good AND it will cost you quite a bit more in the end. I know it would seem as if the "pros" at the store would know what they are doing BUT most of them are just by the hour people who have not been taught the right way. They are there to make the store money so..........

We are here to make sure your water looks like a jewel and is safe for your G-daughter. Here is a link to something you might want to print out and put by your test kit when you get it.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Here is a link to some heavy reading. It will explain the whys and hows of TFP. It will take some rereading while you learn your pool for it to click. It is well worth it!

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

The best part is most of the stuff can be bought from Target or Walmart! How neat is that??

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Let us know if you have ANY questions! We want your pool to be the best one on the block!

Kim

Thanks everyone! I have a lot of reading to do. Hey KimKats - it will be the best on the block because it is the only pool on the block! Just kidding. It is the only one on the block but I want it to be correct for the family. I had a IG fiberglass pool and a self contained spa back in the late 90s thru 2004 and took care of it myself and we loved it. We are hoping to replicate that experience. Thanks again everyone.

Hard to believe it has been three weeks since I found this site. Time flies. I've been working a lot and no time for extras. Had the day off today and worked on the pool lights and got the illuminator working enough to have white light in the pool. I found a website with a troubleshooting guide and gained enough knowledge and confidence to open up the unit. Found the wiring pretty well chewed up and lots of mouse droppings. I repaired all the wiring and disconnected the remote control unit components. It was in really bad condition. We don't have the remote anyway. Pulled the lenses and color wheel for cleaning. The color wheel motor wires were chewed through completely so I pulled it to repair later. I put everything back together and it worked. I have two poolside lenses, one in the spa and one in the deep end of the pool. It's not bright enough to light up the opposite end but the pool has a nice glow to it. The lenses between the lamp and the fiber port unit are slightly cloudy from crust that I could not remove but we can live with what we have. A new lense set is too expensive at $135.00. Can't wait to fix the color wheel motor and see how that looks! Pool temp is up to 70 degrees and I was tempted to jump in but chickened out. Wife put her legs in but didn't keep them there long. We are supposed to have mid-80s air temp all week so maybe next week we'll give it a try for the first time. I'll post pics once I figure out how to upload them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm going to try and upload photos from photobucket with a PC. It didn't work with iPad.

You can't tell that well because of the reflections but the pool was a slight tint of green and cloudy with sediment on the bottom that I assume was DE powder sediment.

20151228_123449_zpsgb7o6fgp.jpg Photo by JohhnyK | Photobucket

Here is what the pool looked like today - SUCCESS! I went swimming. OK, as best this fat old man could. Actually after two laps, I switched to walking like my doctor told me to. Walk first, laps later according to the doc.

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums...loads/2016-04/20160425_152827_zpsmoir3rdi.jpg

If these links do not work, please let me know. I tried the insert image icon button but the forum software told me it did not work.

There were three occasions of algae blooms between these photos with a SLAM each time to get it under control. Yesterday I soaked the filter in a heavy liquid chlorine solution in a trash can all day just in case I was not getting all the algae out of the cartridge. I also scrubbed the inside of the filter casing with the same concentrated solution. Hope this helps to curtail the algae enough for the regular levels of chlorine to keep it in check.

I spent some time with a trial and error method on the valves and figured out which one did what and got the spa center fountain feature working, and the spa air bubble nozzles working though they are weak. I'm thinking they are weak because the previous renter changed the pump to a smaller size in both HP and in pipe size. Or, I'm just not setting the three way valves correctly yet.

Pool temp was 80 degrees today with no heater (I found the heater manual online but no time to work on it this week).

I want to thank all the people on this site that helped, directly, and indirectly. By that I mean the reply's to my post were helpful, the posted articles where a big help, and the forum streams provided helpful information when I read the answers to other people's questions.

Our granddaughter Sophie Leah is spending the weekend with us and will be getting her first time in a pool. First of many I hope.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post the fixes I still have to do (color lighting, heater, spa bubbler), new questions, and issues that pop up in a new stream based on the proper forum topic after this.

JohnnyK

You are close! Copy the IMG code to the right of the pic in Photobucket and paste it in your post. It will look like this.

Pool is looking good! Have fun! :paddle: