Pool Plaster Opinions

TXJIM

Feb 20, 2016
Austin, TX
Hi all, looking for some feedback on our plaster job on our new pool build. The pool is 36 x 18 ranging from 3.5' to 7' with 18" raised 7x7 hot tub on the deep end. We broke ground Mid October. The plaster was completed in one day on January 22nd, the plaster crew started to fill the pool before they left. Our pool builder knows we are not happy with the finish, swears it will get better with age, and has been dumping acid and scrubbing for a month. We have also been sweeping it twice a day ourselves. It seems to have gotten worse, not better. This is still going on and these pictures are from today, one month after plaster. We have looked at other pools he has done, with the same plaster company, and they all have some level of streaking and discoloration so maybe that is why he thinks it is normal. I would love to hear some opinions and experiences. This is a link to a little underwater GoPro tour followed by pics from above the surface:

Pool Plaster - YouTube

http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_153303-1_zpsmf5rsygg.jpg.html]
[/URL
]

http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_094407_zps42lb5fgs.jpg.html][/URL]

http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_094316_zps9nehmjhc.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_153259_zpsw9rnfgff.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_153543_zps2unpmeb3.jpg.html][/URL]
http://s770.photobucket.com/user/TXJIMAZ/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160221_153804_zpsuvortitu.jpg.html][/URL]

The best thing you can do is read some of the other pool builds and see what their plaster looks like.

This is something you and your PB will have to work out I am sorry to say.

I agree there is streaking. I find it interesting that his other pools looked the same.

Kim

What type of plaster finish is this? I also watched your you tube video. There are several members here that have been having problems with the quartz and colored plaster finishes. If not done properly this is how they turn out. I also have a poorly done quartz Tahoe Blue plaster job, I have been waiting for the rep to come look at for some time now. I know this does not help but thought you would like to know there are other folks in your same shoes. As Kimkats said you may want to read some of the other posts under mottling.

What type of plaster finish is this? I also watched your you tube video. There are several members here that have been having problems with the quartz and colored plaster finishes. If not done properly this is how they turn out. I also have a poorly done quartz Tahoe Blue plaster job, I have been waiting for the rep to come look at for some time now. I know this does not help but thought you would like to know there are other folks in your same shoes. As Kimkats said you may want to read some of the other posts under mottling.

Paulette-

We just completed our pool and have similar issues. Hind site I wish I was way may involved when they were acid washing.

We have a very similar issue with the streaking and were doing an acid wash. Its working a little but we still have some heavy streaking like you. Im positive with my pool dumping out the water and doing the acid wash again would work.

Honestly speaking, those cracks in the plaster are not going to get better with time but they could get worse. If that were my pool, the PB would be chipping the plaster out and redoing it, at his expense.

Unfortunately, if you don't have the final payment held in reserve, there's not much you can do but try to bargain with the PB. At the very least, if you manage to get the pool replastered, DO NOT use that same plaster subcontractor! If that level of quality is what they consider "normal", then they are pretty terrible at their jobs.

Sorry for your troubles. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

After reading info at OnBalance's website I am concerned at this point that the pool builder has damaged the surface by running low PH for 30 days trying to etch the surface and smooth it out. You can't see them too well in the pics or video but there are lots of boot prints in the white streaks and where they did aggressive acid and scrubbing on the tanning ledge the aggregate is very exposed and rough. This has also exposed a lot of fine spider cracks that were not there previously.

The plaster is "Laguna" from the Sparkle Quartz line made by Finest Finish.

I spoke with the manufacturer's rep this morning and sent him video and pictures. We will see where that goes.

Great idea!! If they value their reputation, considering there seems to be a lot more plaster options these days than PebbleTek, they have an incentive to make you happy.

Keep us posted!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have heard nothing but excellent results and feedback from people with poorly installed Pebbletek when they get Pebbletek involved. They seem to be a stand-up company and worth the extra $$. I am certainly happy with mine.

The plaster is "Laguna" from the Sparkle Quartz line made by Finest Finish.

I have heard nothing but excellent results and feedback from people with poorly installed Pebbletek when they get Pebbletek involved. They seem to be a stand-up company and worth the extra $$. I am certainly happy with mine.

It's not PebbleTek, it's another manufacturer called "Finest Finish".

I just looked at my last post and the way I worded it made it sound like it was PebbleTek. What I meant to say was that if this smaller company valued its reputation in the market, then it should review this issue.

In the past, the only player in the exposed aggregate pool finish market was PebbleTek. So they are the market leader. Nowadays there are more options/manufacturers of exposed aggregate coatings. If they want to take market share from PebbleTek, then problems like what the OP is showing should be resolved swiftly even if it is the fault of the applicator company. With PebbkeTek, if you get a bad installer, they stand behind their warranty even if the installer refuses to fix it. Not so sure with these smaller companies.

That is not an acceptable plaster job. Most likely from poor workmanship, but can't rule out materials right now.
Acid treatments do not cause cracking. The cracking was already present, it probably increased and that is why it is more visible now.
I agree with Matt. The plastering contractor needs to learn how to do it right before using again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.