poured in place coping and concrete cracks

Apr 13, 2007
Orange, CA
Hi,
We are in the final stages of our pool build and already we have 5 or 6 cracks in our concrete. Our builder insists this is normal. Any suggestions? Also, in our coping, are the cuts usually filled with any type of grout?
Thanks,
Suzanne

suzanne said:
Hi,
We are in the final stages of our pool build and already we have 5 or 6 cracks in our concrete. Our builder insists this is normal. Any suggestions? Also, in our coping, are the cuts usually filled with any type of grout?
Thanks,
Suzanne

Can you post some pictures? That might give us a little better idea. Do the cracks go all the way through or are they just on the surface. Is there going to be a top coat like Sundek?

Re: concrete cracks

suzanne said:
I sent 3 pictures to your email. Thanks,
Suzanne

The files are too big. You need to save them for web use and then upload them. You could also try a service like photobucket, but you will still have to reduce the file size.

I have resized them for you here and am hosting them on photobucket.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

What are we supposed to see in the third picture?

I would not be happy with those cracks either. The shifting of the ground and cracking should be eventual, over months or years. It should not happen that quickly. They may not have compacted the dirt properly underneath. It looks like you have plenty of expansion joints, so some normal movement of the earth below should not create those kinds of cracks.

Is this the final product, or will there be a top coating? If so, they should be able to fill the cracks with an epoxy resin, and then apply the surface and you'll never be able to see the cracks.

HOWEVER, that does not address the underlying issue, which is what has caused the cracks this quickly. That is not minor surface cracking, imo. At the very least, I would think they should repour those sections.

There are a couple of builders who visit the site, maybe they can comment, since I'm half way guessing here.

The cuts between the coping sections are expansion joints and should not be grouted. The cracks are something that I would investigate further. They should not be occuring in a newly poured deck.

Suzanne sent me an e-mail yesterday during the upgrade and said,

Thanks for the advice. We met with the pool builder today and he is
going to repour the sections we need him to. When you referred to
a "top coating" did you mean a sealer? We were thinking about doing
that as well. Our concrete has been sandblasted. Do you seal the
poured in place coping also?
Thanks,
Suzanne

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.