Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: poured in place coping and concrete cracks

1. Back To Top    #1

poured in place coping and concrete cracks

Hi,
    We are in the final stages of our pool build and already we have 5 or 6 cracks in our concrete. Our builder insists this is normal. Any suggestions? Also, in our coping, are the cuts usually filled with any type of grout?
    Thanks,
    Suzanne
    Our family fun time

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: poured in place coping and concrete cracks

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne
    Hi,
    We are in the final stages of our pool build and already we have 5 or 6 cracks in our concrete. Our builder insists this is normal. Any suggestions? Also, in our coping, are the cuts usually filled with any type of grout?
    Thanks,
    Suzanne
    Can you post some pictures? That might give us a little better idea. Do the cracks go all the way through or are they just on the surface. Is there going to be a top coat like Sundek?
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

concrete cracks and coping

I am having a hard time uploading the pictures of the concrete crack.
    Suzanne
    Our family fun time

4. Back To Top    #4

concrete cracks

I sent 3 pictures to your email. Thanks,
    Suzanne
    Our family fun time

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: concrete cracks

Quote Originally Posted by suzanne
    I sent 3 pictures to your email. Thanks,
    Suzanne
    The files are too big. You need to save them for web use and then upload them. You could also try a service like photobucket, but you will still have to reduce the file size.

I have resized them for you here and am hosting them on photobucket.

TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

6. Back To Top    #6
    What are we supposed to see in the third picture?

I would not be happy with those cracks either. The shifting of the ground and cracking should be eventual, over months or years. It should not happen that quickly. They may not have compacted the dirt properly underneath. It looks like you have plenty of expansion joints, so some normal movement of the earth below should not create those kinds of cracks.

Is this the final product, or will there be a top coating? If so, they should be able to fill the cracks with an epoxy resin, and then apply the surface and you'll never be able to see the cracks.

HOWEVER, that does not address the underlying issue, which is what has caused the cracks this quickly. That is not minor surface cracking, imo. At the very least, I would think they should repour those sections.

There are a couple of builders who visit the site, maybe they can comment, since I'm half way guessing here.
    TFP Founder

7. Back To Top    #7

concrete cracking

The third picture is our poured in place coping. I wanted to know whether the area in between should be grouted or something? Or...should it just be left the way it is?
    Thanks.
    Suzanne
    Our family fun time

8. Back To Top    #8
    The cuts between the coping sections are expansion joints and should not be grouted. The cracks are something that I would investigate further. They should not be occuring in a newly poured deck.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Suzanne sent me an e-mail yesterday during the upgrade and said,

Thanks for the advice. We met with the pool builder today and he is
    going to repour the sections we need him to. When you referred to
    a "top coating" did you mean a sealer? We were thinking about doing
    that as well. Our concrete has been sandblasted. Do you seal the
    poured in place coping also?
    Thanks,
    Suzanne
    TFP Founder