How much sand?

Feb 20, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi all,

I just got finished replacing the sand in my Hayward S310S filter. It's capacity is listed as 500 pounds, but the manual states that, "sand surface should be leveled andshould come to about 6" from the top of the filter tank". I put 500 pounds of sand in but it's probably a good 18"+ below the top of the tank after running for two days. Should I add more per the manual or keep it at the 500 pound capacity?

The only reason I even checked is because my pool is still cloudy. I'm pretty certain that I've ruled out a chemistry issue so I wonder if my sand level being lower than spec is causing it not to filter properly.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to TFP! Cloudy water is almost always a chemistry issue. If you would post a complete set of test results we could double check that for you. As for your question, you should fill the tank as detailed in the instruction manual. Did you use #20 silica pool filter sand?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Cloudy water is almost always a chemistry issue. If you would post a complete set of test results we could double check that for you. As for your question, you should fill the tank as detailed in the instruction manual. Did you use #20 silica pool filter sand?

Thanks! Yes, I used #20 silica from Leslie's. I guess I'm off to buy a few more bags.

One thing to note is that the pool was clearing up a bit after the sand change until I added about 1.5 cups of DE last night per the pool school instructions. This morning I woke up to the pool being incredibly cloudy, telling me that the DE likely was returned out of the jets. When I had the sand out, I inspected the laterals and they seemed fine. Could this simply be caused by low sand?

The sand should be about 2/3 full in the body of the filter. New sand will be dirty......did you backwash first?

That DE addition is really intended for another situation. Please post a set of test results and we'll get you cleaned up.

Hopefully you didn't damage the laterals when you poured in the new sand. Did you fill the empty tank about a 3rd of the way with water before adding the sand? Pouring sand into the tank without first filling with water runs the risk of damaging the laterals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.