New to inground pool maintenance

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,
We graduated from caring for a beloved Intex above ground pool using the TFPC to an inground pool a few months ago! After a major pool remodel (pool built in 1967 given new plumbing, 3 new returns, new light, new safety drains, new Diamond Brite Quartz plaster, all new equipment - pump, filter, etc. and a 3 foot wide sheer waterfall bench - whew!) we are learning how to take care of it.

Any tips or advice on the differences between an above ground pool care vs. inground pool care?

We were very hands-on with the AGP from pool chemistry, hard-plumbing to installing a new skimmer, so we are up to the challenge. It's funny how the PB and the pool care folks give you funny looks when you say you are going to do your own pool maintenance - especially when I say it vs. my hubby!

Any tips or advice welcomed! We have the amazing test kit already!

Cheers,

Liz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Liz and welcome to TFP. :wave: For the most part, most aspects of TFP are the same. There are a few minor exceptions that may apply to you and I'll simply give you these pages to review:
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Start-up New Plaster
Again, subtle chemical level differences on only an item or two between vinyl and plaster. Remember that your waterfall will generate a little pH increase over time, so just be aware of that. I also gave you the start-up plaster link just in case your new plaster also generates an increase in pH. So you may need to keep acid on hand a little bit more than before until it fully cures.

Aside from those things though, you should have no problem with the transition. As things pop-up, just ask. We enjoy helping. Speaking as someone who has twins 17 yr-old boys .... CANNONBALL! They will love your TFP pool. :swim: Have a nice weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and remember, the Poolmath calculator is your friend, so use it often. :)

Easy one for me as Pat did all of the work LOL What he ^^^^^^^^ said!

You KNOW we would LOVE to see pictures of your pool and area!

Could you please add your test kit to your siggy? It will help in the future.

Kim

Congrats on the new old pool! Not only do you maintain your own pool but I'm sure you do a much better job than they do also!

I love old pools, can't wait to see pics. There is no real difference other than different CH levels and keeping an rye on your CSI in Poolmath to keep it slightly negative to prevent calcium scaling. The combo of PH, TA and CH are factored in to get a CSI score.

+1 to what Pat said about water features raising your PH, so keep an eye on it and keep it at 7.8 or less.

Welcome to 14, we have a 16yo son and a 14yo daughter. We are surviving so far, barely!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.