truly at my wits end with this cover!

Mbeale

Nov 23, 2014
OH
This is my 3rd year covering my AGP for the winter and each year it makes it until about February before the cover blows off. I've searched the forums. Anyone with tricks to keep the thing on? I'm ready to just close it without covering and clean up the inevitable mess in the spring.

:rant:

Is the cable tightened as much as possible? Do you use jugs to help hold it down? Do you have too much water on top of cover or not enough?

I had the cable tight as I could get it and I do use jugs to weight it down. as for the water, I've done both. last year I kept as much as possible pumped off. this year said, screw it, and let the water stay. I don't have much around in the way of debris but there is usually a small bag of leaves that gather on the cover. I have wanted to keep them out of the water because I didn't want them to stain the liner. next year, i'm thinking just do without the whole mess and hope for the best.

Maybe try a larger cover? I've had minor trouble some winters, but it seems like that was usually because I did not center it correctly so there were some "short" sides. I think the cable is necessary, but on its own will never do the job. I've found the clips help quite a bit, though I had less of them this year than in the past because they are breaking. To compensate I used a few jugs, but only 3-4 in strategic locations. I usually leave water on, though try not to let it get excessive, which is completely subjective, I know.

If you have not used cover clips, I would give those a try. Good luck!

I'm using a truly Hillbilly style methode to keep my cover on.
The cable is tight, but not overly tight.
I hang water filled bleach bottles on the outside, connected with hooks to the cable. About 5 or so since half of my pool has the deck very close to the rim. The weight of the bottles keps the cover taught, and the wind can not pull it off.
On the deck side, I have hooks atached to the cable on one side, and wedged into the deck board spaces on the other.
My cover has not blown off in years.
Doesn't look pretty, but....

In OK I went with the no cover solution :) But, the ice this year was only about 1/2 inch...

I drained below the intakes and blew the lines out and closed the pool like normal then when it snowed or rained it filled the pool back up.. getting ready to open it back up this weekend :)

I do not have tree's and junk getting in so that was not really a concern for me...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is my first winter with a pool, so I'm still learning, but I've had pretty much the same issue as you. I lost the cover into the pool in December sometime. Dumped a bunch of leaves and stuff in, which should be loads of fun to clean up this spring.

I'm out in the middle of nowhere, and have major wind issues. I have a 18 x 33 oval, and the winter cover is 37' long if I recall correctly. I have the cable tightened as much as possible, and a few weights that are laying on the ground, but tied to the cable to keep it down. I also have a large amount of water on the cover...probably about 6 inches. Large amounts of water were the only thing to keep the cover from billowing in the wind like a parachute, but I then started having problem with the water not staying evenly distributed. It would be a foot deep on one end, and nothing on the other, because of the wind. I finally added milk jugs, 1 per section of the pool, filled them 3/4 with water, tied them to the cable, and laid them on top of the cover to weight it down and keep the water evenly distributed. Worked in all but the worst winds. Now...I actually have two tires laying on the cover on the west edge of the pool. Took me all winter to get this figured out, but the cover is staying on now. Had high winds last weekend, and having 20-30 mph winds today.

I'm going to add a deck next year, so I'll get to start all over with figuring out what it will take. Good luck!

We use rope to keep our pool located in a VERY windy spot covered. Without the ropes the "jiffy-pop popcorn" effect will rip the cover off in no time.

This years modification was the addition of the duct tape where the rope and cover connect - we re-applied the tape twice this winter so not bad at all IMO. Last year's lesson was that those places the rope movement was cutting holes in the cover.
3-2-2016 7-25-46 AM.jpg

We use the rope method as well. We have a 27 ft round. We put the cover on, use the cable and then we take our ropes with water filled bottles attached to each end and drape them from one side to the other. With this method we are able to put extra ropes/bottles in the areas where the wind comes through the most. When it's done, it resembles a spider web. For storage, empty the bottles. Keep the ropes attached and hang them up in the garage/basement to rafters. So much easier when closing the next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.