New to SWG

gmgm55

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2012
N. Houston
I have been running a Stenner pump and now switching to SWG... What is the best way to measure salt? Test strips or the K-1766 kit from TFTestkits?

Also, I have been reading pool school and found out I need to bump up my CYA. It is currently at 40 and now I will need it at around 70 correct? This is scary since I have been trained to always maintain it low.

Anything else I should know before I turn this thing on?

Story about why I switching.... I have been very happy with the Stenner pump however getting the chlorine is a pain. I have been buying from a place that sells chlorine in bulk (Napco) and have had a few incidents but none as bad as the last. I was there late last year and a new guy was helping me, they pump the chlorine from large containers through a 2.5"-3" hose into my 15 gal. container. In the past they have tried to turn on the pump with poor results, chlorine comes out too fast and goes everywhere before they can shut it off. The way that works is to let gravity do its thing. However, this new guy was set on turning the pump on even though I told him not to. I wasn't fast enough backing up before it started raining chlorine. We were both bathed in it, the truck was covered and it was still raining chlorine. He finally found the switch to turn it off but the damage was done. I swore I would never go back. If you are asking why I'm switching to SWG this is why. I don't care to go to Wal-Mart every week to stock up on bleach either.

Hi gmg.

Man, thats quite a story about raining chorine. I can deal with white spots and holes on jeans or shirts. Maybe some superficial chlorine burns on my skin here and there too... but get some on my truck and Im gonna be mad!! Ha!

I have never used the test strips so really cant comment about them one way or other.
Actually, for a couple of years, I didnt have a salt test kit at all. If my swg told me to add salt, I would add some until the low salt light went away, then add a couple hundred more ppm above that. Worked great for me that way.

I have a K1766 now. I got it more out of curiosity than anything, and I find it to be fairly accurate. You dont need to be super accurate on the salt level, the swg will work over a large range.
As long as you dont have any low or high salt alarms on the swg system, you're good.

And yeah, bump up your CYA 70-80. It will fine with the swg.

Once you get the swg fired up, you will have to tinker with your run time and test FC over a period of several days or more until you figure out how long your SWG needs run and at what output in order to keep your FC where it should be.

You're gonna love that thing once you get it tuned in.

Welcome to easy street!

K-1766 is way better than strips.

Just remember to dose your water with salt to maybe 90% of the manufacturers recommended value and then see what your cell reports. The salinity probe is not nearly as accurate as the test BUT it's the SWG you have to make happy, not the test kit.

Also, let the water mix for 24 hours BEFORE you fire up the cell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.