Adventures of My Green Murky Mess

Feb 12, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone! Thank you to all the warm welcomes in my Introductory Thread.

About to take my first readings with the TF-100 test kit.

So.... Here is the current status of the pool. Yuck!!!!!
25103167216_0aeddddece_b.jpg

24502646903_533e9435d5_b.jpg

24498834574_52dae7a030_b.jpg

After reading and re-reading thru pool school and the sticky from JasonLion, I do have questions on order of sequence.

In JasonLion's post he states:

1st Make sure the pump & filter work, knowing how to backwash, and pressure when running normal. I will run the pump & filter till everything clears but am I supposed to do the backwash first because right now the pressure is higher than normal?
2nd Check CYA levels; will do.
3rd Get a test kit
; I have the TF-100
4th Have enough chlorine. I have 5 gallons of bleach to start, enough?
5th PH levels should read normal before starting. That is where I'm confused.

Should the PH levels be the first thing I tackle? Should I do a backwash & add DE first? Wait till PH is right before adding bleach?

Yes, check your PH first. Have you tested everything? Post your results here and someone will be along to help you. Also be sure to add all your pool info to your signature so everyone will know exactly what your dealing with...and no 5 gals isn't nearly enough....

Test and adjust PH first since PH readings will be unreliable during your SLAM...

Right. Good you're doing your homework. :goodjob: Of course these 3 links will extremely important for you:
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Poolmath calculator
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
The CYA/Chlorine chart will tell you how high your FC should be (based on your current CYA) to shock/SLAM. The calculator will help you confirm the amounts required based on your pool size. And of course the SLAM page is your water-clearing Bible for right now. Make sure you read that carefully and don't skip anything. Very important.
Yes, adjust pH to about 7.2-7.4 FIRST, because once you start increasing the FC you won't be testing the pH anymore until after the SLAM. Bleach? Hoo hoo! You'll need lots of it. Better plan an starting with about 10 gallons or so and be prepared to get just as many more in the next day or two.

Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

If you don't know what the pressure was when the filter and pool were clean, it's hard to know how much over that level you are. You don't have equipment details in your sig, but your other thread suggests a DE filter. I'd suggest just taking the filter apart, rinsing all the grids and cleaning out the basin, and reassembling and then adding the DE recommended by the manufacturer. There will be a window of time between when you add the DE to the skimmer, it's all distributed to the grids, when you can get a reference PSI. then you'll know when you get 25% over that. Backwashing DE is not an exact science; you add "60%" of the new install amount of DE. I gave up backwashing and am just doing yearly full clean out, but for a SLAM, you'll probably just backwash, then add DE to get the PSI back to the correct baseline. Which, again, is supposed to be about 60% of the original amount of DE

Appreciate all the info. Added a signature.:D
Tested the PH & CYA and readings are as follows.

PH - 8.2
CYA - 60

So I'll lower the PH with Muriatic Acid first, now when doing so should I start the pump & filter with plans of leaving it on throughout this clearing process? Pool is roughly 14000 gals, any idea how many gallons of muriatic acid is required? Backwash and add DE to get to the normal pressure readings during the PH correction?

Yes, as noted in the SLAM instructions, once you start, the pump stays on 24/7 - low speed is okay. For the acid, it's going to be about 3.5 cups, but I didn't have all of your test results to plug into the calculator. You should probably do that on your end to be sure. Remember, don't add bleach and acid at the same time! 30 min apart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i believe you have received all the information you need but just incase you still want some clarification:
The reason you need to test and adjust you PH first is that your PH test is no longer reliable once your FC is above 10. Since you will be doing a SLAM to the pool your FC will most certainly be above 10, so you will not have another chance to test and adjust your PH until after the SLAM process.

Also pull up the Pool Math page and the Chlorine/CYA chart.

In the CYA chart you will see that a pool with an CYA will need to have at least a FC of 5 at all times, however during the SLAM process you will want your FC at the shock level of 24 until you have pass all 3 criteria to end the SLAM process.

Using Pool Math you can find out that with a 14,000 gallon pool with a starting FC of 0 you will need to add 3.88 gallons of 8.25% bleach to raise your FC to 24.

It is best to start this process when you will be home for a significant amount of time such as the weekend to monitor the filter, test, and add bleach.

Please feel free to post with questions as often as you can, the people on this site very much enjoy helping people and enjoy the results almost as much as you will.

Tagged to watch.

And (like others have said) you need more bleach.

I've gone thru about 20 gallons in my week long SLAM that started last Wednesday/Thursday. And my pool wasn't anywhere near as green as yours. I just had a green tint.

Thanks everyone for the info and encouragement. :bowdown:

So..... we started the day with a high reading on my DE Filter guage.

24511176563_2e86485801_c.jpg

Added Muriatic Acid and lowered the PH from 8.2 to 7.2, yay!

Couple backwashes later and our numbers are solid. :rockon:

25111691046_8a02b51dd6_c.jpg

PoolMath has me giving 4 gallons of bleach and now we're SLAMmin'!

24507344264_7488bf7a57_c.jpg

Matter fact, it's time to check my FC!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.