Do I go all out now!!????? What would you do different??

Bski224

Jan 18, 2016
Long island NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Going forward with my new 20x40 rectangle IGP full length steps, 8' overflow spa, auto cover, heater, Salt system, etc... I'm stuck on weather or not we should do everything we want now and pay a little extra rather than me sitting here 2 years down the road regretting my decisions. I'm Looking at close to 70k all said and done with 750 sq' patio

Wife wants the spa with overflow, we can do a regular overflow spa for $8,500 with stone surround OR do a custom 8' square with a full sheer decent flowing into pool, better jets and seating with a blower . That one with stone surround is $14,000. I know a lot of you guys bash the overflow spas saying they are a waste of money compared to a separate spa not attached. In my opinion cant beat the look of an attached spa with overflow. Also the auto cover is a big expanse at $12,000 but I have 3 children ranging from 2-7 and the piece of mind is great!!

Basically what I'm asking is from members is what do they wish they did different with the pool build and what they would do different if they could go back?? AWESOME SITE WITH GREAT INFO. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

I have the same size pool with an auto-cover, if I was doing over I would have put a spa in a corner of the pool so the auto cover can close over it, and added 2 more steps in the deep end so you could stand either chest deep, waist deep or knee deep.

Similar size pool here with autocover - but no spa. To me there is only one way to do it. Get what you want now and then enjoy it. Which doesn't mean get everything, but whatever you intend to get down the road, do it now.

Plans change, situations change, the weather changes too. If you don't do it now, it may not get done and you are left wanting.

I will say that my view of the opinions here on overflow spas are very positive and that a large percentage of southern pool owners opt for them...full-well knowing that a detached spa is more comfortable and better at what it does. But you can't beat the appearance of an attached spa.

When you have a minute, prepare a signature with your pool details (or intended details) so we can all see all the time. I also encourage you to post your build on here in this same thread. Don't create a new one. You will get tremendously valuable feedback (and perhaps counseling) by letting us watch along.

Best of luck with your project! A few before pics of your yard would be great too. You can use Photobucket or the like to host your photos. That seems to work the best for most folks.

A separate spa means that you have to maintain chemistry in two bodies of water. Twice as much testing and more than double the chances for water quality problems. Doing a pool with an auto cover, I would build the spa at the same water level in a corner or along one side of the pool, so that the auto cover works on both.

We have an attached spa and also an auto pool cover. We have an overflow that is really not for the decorative effect but for circulation between the pool and the spa. The one foot spill over opening is recessed such that the pool cover can still be closed and water will flow between the two. We have a separate 3 piece spa cover. we are really happy with our pool and wouldn't change anything from what we have. I forgot to mention that our spa setup allows us to close our pool at the end of September with some equipment adjustments but still keep the spa open until December when the winter temps start to get crazy.

On the whole separate or attached spa a large part of the question is what do you want out of it, a social soaker area with maybe some bubbles, or directed hydrotherapy jets for sore muscles, aches and pains. Attached spas are great for social gathering spots with some bubbles to liven up the spa, but if hydrotherapy is important to you a well designed stand alone spa wins hands down by a mile.

Except.... a pool on Long Island will get closed in the winter to avoid freeze problems.

My stand alone hot tub spa is used in winter- nothing better than sitting in 102 degree water with snow flurries overhead.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.