DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I've been lurking for a just a short while, trying to absorb some of the knowledge here. We started our pool 16 days ago. Our PB seemed to be good at moving the process right along, we have gunite, tile and coping started Tuesday and they are finishing it today, electrical is done, and gas is today.

My problem is with the spa. It is all wrong, and I am so upset about it. It is supposed to be an oval shape, but instead it is a wonky almond shape, where one end comes to almost a point. It isn't symmetrical, and it is quite narrow and does not provide much legroom. With the exception of the center position, everyone else will be playing footsie in the spa. Which is fine if it is just my husband and myself, however we enjoy having people over, and that is just plain uncomfortable. The spa was supposed to fit 7 people (we are a family of 6). While there may be enough bench seating for 7, there is not enough legroom for that many.

My question is, what recourse do I have? The construction manager is coming out today to look at it. Is it even possible to remove most of the spa at this point and redo the gunite? I don't want to compromise the structural integrity of it, but I seriously hate it. If they can't fix it, what sort of compensation should I be asking for?

The pool is a 16.5x34 gunite free form, with small tanning ledge, attached spa that spills over into the deep end. I will attempt to get an aerial picture of it today.

Hi kmom,
Hate to hear of your woes.

The gunite can be fixed without any structural compromise.

If you have your pool plans, they should have dimensions on them, and the pool folks really should build it to those dimensions.

Yes, the gunite can be partially removed and redone. A neighbor had almost half their pool removed to add a deep end and make the pool bigger and it has been fine for years.

Here are our designs:

and this was a picture I took last weekend. It was this picture that tipped me off that something was wonky with the spa. The left side looks like it is pushed in a bit. I need to get a new picture of the inside so y'all can see the bench. I need to wait until it is in the shade though, the shadows are too harsh right now to see it well in the photo.

The manager came and looked at it today and agreed, that yes indeed it is not oval. He said that the unite on the benches are so thick, that they can remove a few inches on both sides to give more leg room, and it would not compromise the integrity of the pool, and I would still have the lifetime warranty on the pool. So we are going to try that on Monday and see what happens.

Remove a few inches? Spacing of rebar & gunite should be very uniform. Was the rebar done properly before gunite was shot? I'd be worried they would expose rebar or get way to close which can rust through plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.