Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

Hi Ya'll,

In the design phase of an OB IG pool in Pflugerville Texas. Everyone in central Texas picked up on that from my title.

Had a pool built by PB about 20 years ago in the same neighborhood so this time have decided to do it ourselves to get what we want and save some money.
Been following Andy's, Jamie's, and ummgood's builds and have taken notes. You guys and everyone on this forum are fantastic, I've enjoyed it and learned allot.

Some basics until I get some build drawing to post. We are building an IG freeform gunite SWG pool.

91' perimeter, ~480 sq ft area
Freeform shape, 18' x 34'
3.5' - 5' -4' deep
3' x 8' waterfall feature
~ 510 sq ft concrete and sundek or similar decking
Some additional flagstone and composite decking as well
Sealed Oklahoma flagstone coping
Minipebble Wet Edge or similar surface. Either Antigua or Northshore Carribean
Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 Cartridge Filter
Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump 011018
2 Pentair Intellibrite 5G Color LED Pool lights
Bubbler
Pentair Easy Touch Control System with IC40 Chlorine Generator
ScreenLogic Interface
2 main drains
5 returns
Pentair Racer Cleaner w/ pump

Thanks Jamie for the template:)

That's it for the first run. Nothings been ordered yet so I can still change my mind.

Main areas of concern:

Using Oklahoma Flagstone with Salt Water in central Texas. More people than not have warned me against this but this is the look we want. So if I replace all the coping in 8 years. so be it. I'll consider it a learning experience.
Plan on sealing it and maintaining proper pool balance. I'm open to suggestions on how to make it work or alternatives.

1 or 2 skimmers, not sure, and how important is placement if I only use one?

Never had a SWG pool but said if I ever had another pool it would be salt so I will be reading and re-reading all the TFP 101 stuff.

That is all for now and I'm looking forward to the ride or swim I guess is more appropriate.

-Chris

Sounds awesome! 2 skimmers for sure (I LOVE having 2) - I have tons of flagstone and moss rock - due to the "fear" we didn't go with saltwater. -I have no opinion other than I was warned over and over as well - and just didn't want to chance it.

My pool was built last summer so I am very inexperienced still - but I don't see anything in your wants that you can't make happen. EXCITING!!!!!

I am going into season 4 here in Austin with salt water and Oklahoma flagstone. No problems yet. I seal every year and rinse the stone weekly (During season). Most stressful decision when we built the pool. We had the same approach.....loved the look and so be it, we can always replace the stone if we ever need to. Of course I have two kids in college now so if I ever need to I hope it is after they both graduate!

I am over 3-1/2 years in on OK flag and salt. Not sealed. My flag looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when installed. At this point I am no longer concerned about premature failure. There are definitely multiple types of OK flagstone. My PB, lives down the street, has had his flag and salt a lot longer. More about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.

2 skimmers, one downwind for spring winds and one downwind for fall winds.

Might as well get the c&c520, there is no such thing as too big a filter. When it comes time to get new cartridges get Pleatco, they have better flow, clean easier, last longer and cost less.

My 3-1/2 is too shallow. It is the only thing I would change about my pool, it would be 4x5x4. Oh, I would also increase the water depth on my sun shelf from 6ish to 10ish.

Everything else looks good. Put some benches around the pool for kids to play on and adults to sit and sip tasty, cold beverages.

2 skimmers for sure opposite of each of their prevalent wind direction depending on the season. I have 1 in my NW corner for summer and 1 in my SE corner for winter. Flagstone will wear down no matter what you have. The only thing I can say is that some of my pieces are a slightly different color and we see no wear on them at all. All of the others you can see wear on the under side from being splashed. Good Luck on your build.

"originally posted by Skylar18" Re: Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

I am going into season 4 here in Austin with salt water and Oklahoma flagstone. No problems yet. I seal every year and rinse the stone weekly (During season). Most stressful decision when we built the pool. We had the same approach.....loved the look and so be it, we can always replace the stone if we ever need to. Of course I have two kids in college now so if I ever need to I hope it is after they both graduate!

Thanks for the comments and inspiration! I just glanced at your thread and was inspired by your build. Still am planning on sealed flagstone and have been advised to stay away from the pink tones as they tend to be softer. I'm sure I'll ask you more about your decking around your tree as we have one that is right in the middle of our entertainment area. We took two smaller ones out and can not bear to loose any others. Trying to get the design finalized and sent out for bids this weekend or early next week. Then going to the Bahamas to do some reading (TFP) and dreaming so I'll make sure to read your build thread there :cool:.

-Chris

- - - Updated - - -

OH yeah! Another pool to build!

Lets start with MY wish list------a picture of where it is going to go!

Kim

Keep the ideas and wishes coming! That's what I like about this group, No holding back. I'll try and get layout pics posted this weekend.

I'm also going with two skimmers for all that suggested that. Getting excited!

-Chris

Chris, I'm with you as far as getting what you want. If it needs replacing so be it. Doesn't sound like an issue though and besides nothing lasts forever. I'm doing an outdoor bbq and counter space and we decided on soapstone counters b/c we want them (I'll admit granite is more durable). If we have to replace in 10 yrs we will. Granted if you knew you'd only get 3 years out of it can be a deciding factor but to replace after 10 vs 20 for something you don't like as much, I say it's the cost of doing business.

I agree with the 2nd skimmer too.

I am over 3-1/2 years in on OK flag and salt. Not sealed. My flag looks pretty much exactly the same as it did when installed. At this point I am no longer concerned about premature failure. There are definitely multiple types of OK flagstone. My PB, lives down the street, has had his flag and salt a lot longer. More about my flagstone in my build thread, link in sig.

2 skimmers, one downwind for spring winds and one downwind for fall winds.

Might as well get the c&c520, there is no such thing as too big a filter. When it comes time to get new cartridges get Pleatco, they have better flow, clean easier, last longer and cost less.

My 3-1/2 is too shallow. It is the only thing I would change about my pool, it would be 4x5x4. Oh, I would also increase the water depth on my sun shelf from 6ish to 10ish.

Everything else looks good. Put some benches around the pool for kids to play on and adults to sit and sip tasty, cold beverages.

I'll consider going with the larger filter as a lot of comments I see recommend this. Think it's about a $170 upgrade over the clean & clear 420 . We have decided to go with 2 skimmers, one at each end offset from center.

Our designer said if we go deeper the 3.5' we will need to add an extra step off the sun shelf which will extend out into the pool. I'd like to go to 4' but we want to use it for volleyball and lap swimming so don't think I want another step further out into the pool.

As far as the sun shelf he has it at 6" and said you add 3" for coping and 3" for tile above water line which makes the step off the deck into the sun shelf 12".
If we go to 8" we would have a 14" step into the sun shelf.

All you that have sun shelfs what are your experiences between 6", 8", or 10" of water in the sun shelf?

This is really the last decision we need to make to get the final build drawing other than the color of the minipebble.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IMO 6" seems like wasted pool space. Take out a ruler stand it straight up and think.. what would you do in just 6" of water? I've got a step down to my ledge which I'm guessing is about ~15" or so. I can sit down with legs straight out and be chest high while leaning back on the wall. Little kids can play in this depth, and bigger kids can swim up onto it.

This is also my first pool, so I'm just imagining it all this way, but I can't imagine how I'd get much enjoyment out of a 6" ledge.

6D1D5D9F-28CA-43DC-9CCD-9DCA5A367496_zpsfwl94ns1.jpg

I'll consider going with the larger filter as a lot of comments I see recommend this. Think it's about a $170 upgrade over the clean & clear 420 . We have decided to go with 2 skimmers, one at each end offset from center.

Our designer said if we go deeper the 3.5' we will need to add an extra step off the sun shelf which will extend out into the pool. I'd like to go to 4' but we want to use it for volleyball and lap swimming so don't think I want another step further out into the pool.

As far as the sun shelf he has it at 6" and said you add 3" for coping and 3" for tile above water line which makes the step off the deck into the sun shelf 12".
If we go to 8" we would have a 14" step into the sun shelf.

All you that have sun shelfs what are your experiences between 6", 8", or 10" of water in the sun shelf?

This is really the last decision we need to make to get the final build drawing other than the color of the minipebble.

Appreciate all the feedback.

Our water is 6" deep on the sun shelf and I think 8 or 9 would be better. I like the shelf a lot more than I thought I would, even shallow. Interesting point in the extra step for 3-1/2' vs 4'. Maybe they slope it to 4' quickly.

pooldesign.jpg

Current plan as it is today. Only planned change will be to rotate right skimmer in towards light as it is positioned on the left.

Let me know if you see something I am over looking or haven't considered, or if you have any questions.

Working on the overall backyard landscape plan and will post soon. Was asked to show the pool layout in the yard but the rope did not show very well and I want to get the design finalized before it gets painted for excavation.

My plan is to send out for bids early next week. Let me know what ya think!

-Chris

IMO 6" seems like wasted pool space. Take out a ruler stand it straight up and think.. what would you do in just 6" of water? I've got a step down to my ledge which I'm guessing is about ~15" or so. I can sit down with legs straight out and be chest high while leaning back on the wall. Little kids can play in this depth, and bigger kids can swim up onto it.

This is also my first pool, so I'm just imagining it all this way, but I can't imagine how I'd get much enjoyment out of a 6" ledge.

6D1D5D9F-28CA-43DC-9CCD-9DCA5A367496_zpsfwl94ns1.jpg
Brad, We want to be able to use Ledge Loungers from http://www..ledgelounger.com or similar to set on the sun shelf with a bubbler in between and tables to kick back and relax. If someone knows a comparable but more cost friendly alternative please clue us in as they are quite proud of their product.

Just trying to determine if want to go with 7" or 8" over the 6" our designer put in the plan.

Good luck with your build.

-Chris

It looks like your skimmers are tied together. Ideally, it would be good to have them separate so you can control them separately.

Hi Jamie,

Is there a benefit from being able to shut one or the other down? I imagine it costs more to plumb them separately? I can not think of why I would want to shut one down but that's why I'm here to reap all the knowledge of you that have done this before.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Jamie,

Is there a benefit from being able to shut one or the other down? I imagine it costs more to plumb them separately? I can not think of why I would want to shut one down but that's why I'm here to reap all the knowledge of you that have done this before.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris! Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in, but I think having them separate just gives you more control and perhaps evens out their suction? Yes, it does cost more to plumb that way, but jn the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot. I know mine were done separately, but now I can't remember specifically why!

I think the bigger concern is keeping the main drain separate from the skimmers, and you have that.
Jamie

Control...........it is all about control. It is best to have both skimmers and the main drain plumped on their own all the way back to the pad with each one having it's own valve. There will be times you only want one skimmer going like when you use a manual vacuum to get the last of the dirt your cleaner did not get or the leaves on the bottom that go away.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.