Starting OB pool inbetween a Rock and a Weird Place!

Brad, We want to be able to use Ledge Loungers from http://www..ledgelounger.com or similar to set on the sun shelf with a bubbler in between and tables to kick back and relax. If someone knows a comparable but more cost friendly alternative please clue us in as they are quite proud of their product.

Just trying to determine if want to go with 7" or 8" over the 6" our designer put in the plan.

Good luck with your build.

-Chris

Do you have room for two of the lougers??

http://ledgeloungers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/LEDGE_Chaise_Specifications_HR.pdf

On the skimmer plumbing, another reason that we don't like to think of, is if there is a plumbing leak issue, it is nice to be able to narrow it down by closing off sections of plumbing. That might not be an issue now but in 15 years, a leak can surface and be more difficult to figure out. The cost of extra plumbing is peanuts. Cost only as a reason not to do it would be pound foolish. Bottom line is it is one of many small things that result in a better built pool. Kind of like quality windows and more insulation in a house.

Get an IC60 not an IC40. Differential cost is minimal and you will get a lot longer life out of a bigger cell.

Seal the coping at least. Check into Dry-Treat 40sk or DuPont StoneTech for salt water. Those two are top rated but they will DEFINITELY add to the cost of an install. A reputable stone mason will know how to use them.

Agree with all others on larger filter and dedicated skimmer lines.

As I always get on my soap box for - you want a dedicated vacuum port for manual vacuuming. And you want to use only Jandy style valves.

If you have a low head discharge water feature (like a waterfall), you should consider having it on its own dedicated plumbing loop with a separate water pump. Trying to add too many different types of water flow into the same plumbing run will make you have to run the variable speed pump at higher power to satisfy demand. Better to have things like scuppers, waterfalls and weeping walls on their own pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Get an IC60 not an IC40. Differential cost is minimal and you will get a lot longer life out of a bigger cell.

Seal the coping at least. Check into Dry-Treat 40sk or DuPont StoneTech for salt water. Those two are top rated but they will DEFINITELY add to the cost of an install. A reputable stone mason will know how to use them.

Agree with all others on larger filter and dedicated skimmer lines.

As I always get on my soap box for - you want a dedicated vacuum port for manual vacuuming. And you want to use only Jandy style valves.

If you have a low head discharge water feature (like a waterfall), you should consider having it on its own dedicated plumbing loop with a separate water pump. Trying to add too many different types of water flow into the same plumbing run will make you have to run the variable speed pump at higher power to satisfy demand. Better to have things like scuppers, waterfalls and weeping walls on their own pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Appreciate all the advice and tips. Alway have to weigh all the upgrades, $100, here and $200 there soon it adds up to $1000 here And there. We are also doing a major renovation, and adding a garage/pool house/music studio so I'm managing 3 projects at once.

On the IC60 upgrade - The IC40 is sized for up to 40,000 gal and our pool will only be in the 14,000 gal size. Wont the IC40 be adequate? And the next question is say in 5 - 7 years when its time to replace the IC40 does the IC60 fix the same space? Would I be able to just replace the IC40 with the IC60?

What is the difference between the Jandy valves and say the Pentair or others? Have added the Pentair valves to my equipment list but if Jandy is superior I will select Jandy.

I'll look into what a dedicated waterfall pump entails to install. Makes sense.

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Love the bathroom by the pool. Is that a door into it from outside so they do not have to go through the pool house?

Kim

Yes, entry from just off the pool area as well as from inside the shop/pool house area. Also adding an outdoor shower for rinsing off.

This is the initial landscaping plan. Have already changed a few things by adding some more flagstone paths to move from Hottub to firepit. And from the Deck off the pool house to the bar/grilling patio deck area. This will have to do for now Kim until they actually paint the pool on the grass.

landscapingPlan.jpg

Yes, the IC40 is plenty big for 14k gal. It works great in my 20k gal pool. Yes, the IC60 cell will fit in the same space. Pentair non-lube valves work just as well as Jandy, I have both and they are pretty much the same.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An IC60 produces 2lbs of chlorine gas per day while the IC40 produces 1.4lbs. Having the larger cell means you can run it at a lower % power setting for the same pump run time and chlorine production. Cell life is fixed at 10,000 hours of production time. Therefore, if you can run the cell less, it will last longer. The Pentair SWG cells are the most expensive of all the manufacturers cells to replace because most of the control electronics are built onto the cell. Therefore, if you can cut down the run time then you will lengthen the cells useable lifetime. I have an IC40 and plan to replace it with an IC60 when the time comes.

Jandy valves are recognized as the "best of breed". I have Pentair valves. They are fine too. I was just making sure you were avoiding the standard SCH40 PVC (cheap!) ball valves that fail all too quickly.

Adding another pump and plumbing loop for the waterfall will cost more. But it is the better option to go with than trying to run everything from a single VSP pump. Too many PBs make that mistake and leave their customers with a system that requires them to either run those VSPs at full power to get the water feature flow they want or the customer has to suffer with a dribbling, poor quality water feature. A separate plumbing loop lets you control the pool separate from the waterfall which is both convenient AND can save you money by utilizing a more efficient waterfall pump. But know this, PBs also make the mistake of spec'ing a standard pool pump (typically way over powered) for the water feature instead of using a waterfall pump and that causes problems too. When an oversized pool pump is allowed to run full-open (low head loss) on their discharge side, they can rattle and make noise like crazy. You want a separate loop designed to work with a waterfall pump for maximum efficiency and low noise.

Thanks for the blow up of the picture. I love what I see! I like the changes as well.......There did need to be a walkway to the hot tub!

I see you have the hot tub by the dog run. I hope you keep the run well cleaned.

Kim

Thanks for the blow up of the picture. I love what I see! I like the changes as well.......There did need to be a walkway to the hot tub!

I see you have the hot tub by the dog run. I hope you keep the run well cleaned.

Kim

Kim, Ha! yea I had not even thought about that if it was a truly dedicated dog run. We put it in to have some place to put the dogs outside during the remodel and construction. We had two dogs when we started and lost the older one at 15 yrs old from cancer plus old age. So the one we still have very rarely gets put in there. Its kind of more for convenience for when there is to much activity in the main yard.

I like getting all the other perspectives to what we are doing because we've got a lot going on right now. It's fun but exhausting!

-Chris

I'm back from our get away to escape the remodeling to our house (currently no kitchen) and waiting for the bids to start coming in for the pool.

I have a question on our bid for the excavation. In referencing And5555's bid from Cedar Park Texas which is only about 15 miles from where we are, his excavation came in at $4500.

Our initial bid from the excavator was $6200. How it broke down was:

$4100 excavation including haul offs.
$1000 double handle ? Can someone shed some light on this fee? Think I understand it to be handling fill material ect.
$400 load of gravel
$682 pool forming
$200 pool layout.

Again pool is 34'x18' 91 foot perimeter 480sqft

Andy if you're online were some of these fees picked up in your steel fee which was the same crew that did excavation, steel, and plumbing, and was about $1000 more than mine which came in at $2200.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Chris

I'm back from our get away to escape the remodeling to our house (currently no kitchen) and waiting for the bids to start coming in for the pool.

I have a question on our bid for the excavation. In referencing And5555's bid from Cedar Park Texas which is only about 15 miles from where we are, his excavation came in at $4500.

Our initial bid from the excavator was $6200. How it broke down was:

$4100 excavation including haul offs.
$1000 double handle ? Can someone shed some light on this fee? Think I understand it to be handling fill material ect.
$400 load of gravel
$682 pool forming
$200 pool layout.

Again pool is 34'x18' 91 foot perimeter 480sqft

Andy if you're online were some of these fees picked up in your steel fee which was the same crew that did excavation, steel, and plumbing, and was about $1000 more than mine which came in at $2200.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Chris

Quick clarification: I live by Mansfield Dam - not in Cedar Park. Still prices should compare.

Sounds a bit high compared to what I saw. I was quoted form and steel together. In Pflugerville, you shouldn't have the solid rock like I had, so I would have expected a lower excavation cost for you. Furthermore, on my property, they had to take the backhoe to the street and back (~130 feet each way). I did not have a gravel base on mine. He said because of the surface on mine that it did not need gravel.

You should get a quote from Sean.

I found a "similar" product to the ledge loungers, I too found them a bit expensive so I did some research and went with something that would have the same look and effect. I'll try to post a link to the page on my build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.