New build Celina, TX

Feb 18, 2016
Celina, Tx
We live in Celina, TX and we're planning to build a pool. We have never owned a pool and know nothing about them, so I'm not even certain what questions to ask or how to distinguish a good builder/well built pool from a poor one. I have contacted a few local companies and am currently in talks, but the only criteria I have for selection at this point is years in business and internet ratings. We live on 1 acre, have an open/flat yard, but have black clay soil. We want a free-form pool - with water feature, but no spa. Any input is appreciated.

Start asking friends, neighbors, relatives who have pools who built them and get some references. Would they use them again? What do they like about their pools and what would they do differently if they'd have known?
Do you have a budget you need to work within?
Do you know if you want a gunnite (cement), fiberglass or vinyl pool? There are pros and cons to each of them. In my area fiberglass and cement were priced about the same, whereas vinyl lined pools were less expensive at the onset (but will require occasional new liners that add to the lifespan cost of the pool).
You also need to determine if you want a lot of automation (cha-ching$) or is this something you can do without? Or just some?
Do you want a pool deep enough to dive in (safety requires a certain depth-very important) or just a more shallow pool to "hang out in".....how about enough room to actually swim a lap or length?
Do you have any ideas about how to chlorinate your pool? Choices include a Salt Water Generator system (SWG) that takes salt in the water and sends it thru a small chamber device to chemically change it to make chlorine. Very convenient and lowest maintenance demands. Or you could simply add liquid chlorine to the water by hand each day or two. Or use special pumps to do the dispensing- also low maintenance but not quite as easy as the SWG. We don't recommend the use of chlorine pucks/tablets, but many will install the system anyway for occasional use.
Just a few ideas to get started thinking on.....

Welcome to TFP!

The most important thing is to find a PB who you can trust and work with. My neighbor built our pool, we've known them for 10 years and they've been building pools for 40 years. Reber Pools You can also check out my pool build, link in sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.